'07 Expo 4 to 5 Way Trailer Harness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bchampion

Reaction score
So my '07 Expo Eddie has the standard 4 way trailer plug. Well my new boat has the 5 way since it has brakes. It's getting old having to get out and turn the plug around so I can back the darn thing up. I looked under the rear and the blue brake wire is there. But to hook that up I would have to cut the factory 4 prong plug and splice in a 5 prong plug. I would prefer not to do that. Does Ford or someone else make a factory 5 prong plug that turns the operation into a simple plug-n-play?

Thanks,

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No problem :) Report back on how it goes, to help others who might have your same question.

OP
OP
B

bchampion

Reaction score
4 to 5 Pin Connector

I used http://www.etrailer.com/pc-A~47515.htm this, but it didn't work. I spliced it into the extra blue wire in the factory harness but no luck. I checked all of my fuses and all of them are good and there. Any ideas? I'm getting tired of getting out of the Expo to flip the plug to I can back up the boat.:confused:

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have a multimeter to check to see if you are getting power to it when you go into reverse? If not, you should try splicing it into the reverse light as the site says to do. A lot of times with Ford wiring, just because it's there doesn't mean it's useful/being used. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bchampion

Reaction score
Yeah. I need to get off my lazy arse and check it. I do have the trailer brake pigtail under my dash. I wonder if something needs to be plugged into that to make that wire hot? Which wire is my reverse light?

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first 2 sites I read looking for a wiring diagram stated that the blue wire should be connected to a brake controller. But, but product link you posted a couple posts back, as well as the links I posted a while ago, state you tap the blue wire into the power wire for the reverse lght. You could either try that (take off the tail light with Philips head, and look for wires that go to back up light connector), or try splicing into the 7 pin round one (not sure if you have one?) One of those pins (possibly the blue one?) go hot when you reverse.

Just checked outside, and it seem the center prong on the 7 pin round plug is reverse, so you could try taping into that. Didn't see the color, but the first site I searched said it should be black w/ pink strip. If you do that, make sure you waterproof the tap well, since it will be exposed. Test with multimeter before you tap :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bchampion

Reaction score
No 7 pin on my Expo, just the standard 4 pin plug. Guess I'll have to splice into the reverse light. I was hoping to avoid that.

Thanks,