09 Expy Trailer Brake light issues. . .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

max78

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi all I'm in need of some help.

I have no power to the trailer brake light specifically. I have running lights, just no brake lights or turn signal (same wire). I tested the wire before it enters the plug so its not a plug issue.

All the fuses under the box and in the kick panel are good.
The relays are working.

I suspect something with that wire has gone wrong, but I cant trace it from the front all the way to the back. is there a connection or specific area I should check for this thing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Plati

Reaction score
You said "wire" as in one wire, but you meant both wires, right?

Do you have both a 4 pin and a 7 pin connector?
Problems with both?

I used to carry a 7 pin to 4 pin adapter to use if my 4 pin connector failed.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi all I'm in need of some help.

I have no power to the trailer brake light specifically. I have running lights, just no brake lights or turn signal (same wire). I tested the wire before it enters the plug so its not a plug issue.

All the fuses under the box and in the kick panel are good.
The relays are working.

I suspect something with that wire has gone wrong, but I cant trace it from the front all the way to the back. is there a connection or specific area I should check for this thing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Year? Model?

OP
OP
M

max78

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its a 2009 Expedition EL.

It has a uhaul brake controler installed. Plug is a 4 pin, and a 7 pin. However I have removed that box from the equasion by going directly to the factory 4 flat plug under the truck.

I get no power at the wires (green and yellow) before the factory plug for brakes, or turn signals.

I do have power for running lights (brown).

I chased the wire as far as i could today, just infront of the rear spare where it splits off. All factory not tampered or spliced.

Last edited:

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its a 2009 Expedition EL.

It has a uhaul brake controler installed. Plug is a 4 pin, and a 7 pin. However I have removed that box from the equasion by going directly to the factory 4 flat plug under the truck.

I get no power at the wires (green and yellow) before the factory plug for brakes, or turn signals.

I do have power for running lights (brown).

I chased the wire as far as i could today, just infront of the rear spare where it splits off. All factory not tampered or spliced.
Sounds like you have the tow package with about 11 wires+- , just keep checking them with a test light. This has always been my biggest towing fear but it was always hooked up wrong or a fuse. There are a lot of fuses under the hood and side panel. Look at every fuse and relay that even distantly resembles towing.

OP
OP
M

max78

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like you have the tow package with about 11 wires+- , just keep checking them with a test light. This has always been my biggest towing fear but it was always hooked up wrong or a fuse. There are a lot of fuses under the hood and side panel. Look at every fuse and relay that even distantly resembles towing.

Thanks i will look at all the fuses again. Its been working flawlessly for the entire time i have had the truck and use it quite often. This started just recently and its driving me nuts.