'14 5.4 oil question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Julian

Reaction score
The best video I found to explain why synthetic is better than conventional (for those of us that want to keep our cars a long time) is by YouTuber EngineeringExplained and titled "Is Synthetic Motor Oil Better For Your Car?" if the link i copied works its here:

I would follow the manual because there are millions of hours of thought, experimentation, testing, and examination by some very highly trained technical people that contributed to it. Legal added thier conservative liability based view to it. And marketing was only allowed to do the cover, thank me for purchasing a Ford product, and occasionally suggest that I buy the Ford version of whatever I may need or want.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
so the manual says to use conventional
Really? What version of the manual?

The 2014 Expedition manual actually states Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 or equivalent -- which is every 5W-20 oil on the market . Doesn't state conventional. Ford Motorcraft 5W-20 from my 5.4 engined 2007 was synthetic-blend. (I still have a quart in the cupboard.) Any 5W-20 meets spec. I recall there's a Blackstone Labs white paper that 5W-20 works just as good as 10W-30 in any engine. I stick with spec grades and use pure synthetic in everything.

-- Chuck

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
But that video even says they only focused on viscosity.
There are more considerations for most people. Flow-ability at cold temp is not even a concern for people in warm climates.
They might be concerned with clean oil bearing scar etc vs dirty but not at all concerned about viscosity.
A 0w20 could protect as well or better than a 5w40 at 80 but I doubt it.

JimmyM

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I switched to 5w-30 Castrol extended protection synthetic last summer. In the spring I'll be moving to 0w-40 Mobil 1 and an external dual filter mount. Not necessarily for better filtration, but for larger oil capacity. I'll be towing a LOT this summer and want the extra viscosity in the heat.

Edit: I'm not completely sold on 0w-40 yet. Still researching. But most things I read say it'll be fine and probably at least a "little" better for high temp viscosity.

Last edited:

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
You Expedition does not recommend 'conventional'. It requires a Ford rating WSS-M2C945-A, oil part#XO-5w20-QSP(5W20, synthetic blend).

Last edited:

rhogan308

Reaction score
I used off-the-shelf regular motorcraft oil in my '02 expy eb 5.4L until it got to 100K. Switched to a blend until about 175K. Then went to full synthetic. 5W20 in winter weather, 5W30 in summer. She currently has 411,500 miles on the original engine and tranny, no rebuilds or overhauls. Still runs and drives great (some "ticking" in the engine on warm up, but goes away after it gets to op. temp). Just bought a '13 expy el limited 5.4L for longer trips and absolutely love it. But I just can't seem to part with my '02 baby.

Adding an odo pic from a few weeks back.

20190129_123309.jpg

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Folks I think we have a mileage winner here. Their were higher, but had swapped in motor/trans. Can't argue with those numbers.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

txracer16

Reaction score
Use Motorcraft 5w-20 or 30 (synthetic blend) or another brand blend and change oil and filter every 5k and you should never have issues. You can run full synthetic but not required. Main thing is changing it. Never seen an engine fail because it ran conventional oil and was changed every 3-5k miles.

OP
OP
oldpaddy

oldpaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Really? What version of the manual?

The 2014 Expedition manual actually states Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 or equivalent -- which is every 5W-20 oil on the market . Doesn't state conventional. Ford Motorcraft 5W-20 from my 5.4 engined 2007 was synthetic-blend. (I still have a quart in the cupboard.) Any 5W-20 meets spec. I recall there's a Blackstone Labs white paper that 5W-20 works just as good as 10W-30 in any engine. I stick with spec grades and use pure synthetic in everything.

-- Chuck
You're right. Somehow I misread it.