140k maintenance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joeyg8

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got the truck and have no service records. What maintenance should be done at this milage. Some say don't change tranny fluid but it shift a little hard at times. What about diff fluid and transfer case

rtbrjason

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got the truck and have no service records. What maintenance should be done at this milage. Some say don't change tranny fluid but it shift a little hard at times. What about diff fluid and transfer case

I bought one a few months ago with 127k and no records for service.

I started with cleaning out the throttle body and upper intake with B12 spray and added a can of B12 to the gas. I ran it for a few days and used the gas up and then did the normal seafoam treatment, adding some to oil and ingesting the rest into the vacuum system.

After that I did an oil change, trans fluid and filter (TC too), front diff, rear diff, and transfer case fluid. Also did a fuel filter change, pcv valve, replaced a few broken vacuum lines and also replaced the contents of the power steering reservoir. I just changed the oil again and sent a sample of the above oil in to Blackstone for analysis and hoping to hear from them today.

Since the initial maintenance I've done a power steering pump, fan clutch, new belt, tensioner and idler, rear wiper motor and replaced air filter with a K&N (filter only).

It runs and drives pretty well, but this last batch of work I really noticed just how bad the head gasket was leaking on the back passenger side. I also noticed that I'm missing several exhaust studs. Since I've already gotten into it with this truck and am "upside down" on value vs investment, I'm likely going to source a used engine to rebuild and replace mine and plan on keeping this thing around a while.

Other parts hopefully going in later this week will be a new thermostat and a set of shocks if I can decide on which ones to get. :)

jjbusa

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought one a few months ago with 127k and no records for service.

I started with cleaning out the throttle body and upper intake with B12 spray and added a can of B12 to the gas. I ran it for a few days and used the gas up and then did the normal seafoam treatment, adding some to oil and ingesting the rest into the vacuum system.

After that I did an oil change, trans fluid and filter (TC too), front diff, rear diff, and transfer case fluid. Also did a fuel filter change, pcv valve, replaced a few broken vacuum lines and also replaced the contents of the power steering reservoir. I just changed the oil again and sent a sample of the above oil in to Blackstone for analysis and hoping to hear from them today.

Since the initial maintenance I've done a power steering pump, fan clutch, new belt, tensioner and idler, rear wiper motor and replaced air filter with a K&N (filter only).

It runs and drives pretty well, but this last batch of work I really noticed just how bad the head gasket was leaking on the back passenger side. I also noticed that I'm missing several exhaust studs. Since I've already gotten into it with this truck and am "upside down" on value vs investment, I'm likely going to source a used engine to rebuild and replace mine and plan on keeping this thing around a while.

Other parts hopefully going in later this week will be a new thermostat and a set of shocks if I can decide on which ones to get. :)

WOA!! nice

onlyexilove

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I picked my 98 up a little less than 2 years ago and started off with swapping most all of the fluids, i.e. rear diff, tranny, oil, coolant. Brake fluid looked good and so did the power steering. I found out after a bit more research I was owner #8. Just recently did a full top end build. I always say its a good thing to swap the fluids when you first get a new rig. You rear diff change will run you around 50-80 due to running synthetic and the tranny fluid swap will run about 25-30 for the filter/ gasket kit and about 35-40 in fluid (approx 5 bux a quart and you need 6 I think). One thing to keep an eye on will be the head gasket in the rear corner of both passenger and driver side. They tend to leak oil from the rear head gasket port over time.

OP
OP
J

joeyg8

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'm eventuAlly gona change them. The trNny is easy with the drain plug correct? And the differentials just crack bolts Til it starts to drain out?