1998 EB rear wiper HELP!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brilis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a 1998 EB Expedition with a 5.4 4 wheel drive. The rear wiper stopped working all the time a few months ago. Finally had my shop check it and replace the wiper motor (rear). I would still work only sometimes. He replaced the motor again. Same thing, he checked everything.

If you push up on the rear wiper sometimes it will work and stay working until the next time. He is clueless. He said he doesn't know what the heck is going on.

Anyone have any ideas of what to check?

Thanks in advance!!!

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The motors themselves are known to get some corrosion on the shaft that connects to the wiper arm. This would explain why an old motor works sometimes. A new motor, like your mechanic told you her put in and charged you the money for, should work all the time in that regard.

Has to be wiring or the multi function stalk on the steering column.

My turn signals work sometimes and sometimes they stay constantly ON (no flashing). I suspect the stalk as well.

OP
OP
B

brilis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks. I changed the stalk on the column a few months back. It strange. 2 out of 10 times the wiper will work, the other 8, nothing. Is there a relay somewhere I can change?

Also the reason I changed the stalk was the front wiper fluid stopped working, seemed like this fixed it.

Thanks.

OP
OP
B

brilis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I put the rear wiper on last night, nothing. I went to the back and kind of lightly punched the glass and wham. The wiper started going. Kept working. Tried again today. Nothing. Hit the glass and still nothing hah. I have to think there are contacts that keep the wiper off when the glass is open. Not sure if the same is true for the door.

OP
OP
B

brilis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How about just the glass? Both? Also what causes the wiper not to turn on, switch or contacts. Can I get the part? Thanks!!!

OP
OP
B

brilis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone know what/why the wiper stops when window/door is opened? Anything I can change? Thanks.

OP
OP
B

brilis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bad ground?

Looks like maybe a bad ground wire. Checking in the next week or so.