1st gen door trim removal.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

workman8505

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wasn't sure if i wanted to put this in exterior section or 1st gen section so i flipped a coin lol
any way i haven't seen a write up of how to do this with pics so i figured why not do one right everyone loves pics.
also figured what better way to get over my woes and being sick than with some work on the expy and posting.

on the 1st gents this stuff is just on with double sided tape

IMG_20120331_161705.jpg

mine looked like crap the plastic was bubbling

IMG_20120331_161715.jpg

so i got a corner of it started and just pulled it off

IMG_20120331_163849.jpg

then the double sided tape thats the hard part
all i did was rub it with my fingers now a heat gun would probably make this easier but i dont have one so rubbing it had to be the way.

IMG_20120331_175033.jpg

i still need to buff it out and get all the little stuff you cant see in the pics out trust me there is still a line where the tape used to be the bottle is just watter to get all that nast dirt off that was behind them. also expect this to be time consuming i figure on two to three hours total time invested from start to finish. or four days if the weather keeps up ill get a door a day lol i got one done today short of buffing it out.

IMG_20120331_175038.jpg

now this is the point where i kick my self for not checking the weather before starting a project. this being Georgia idk if it would have helped anyway seeing as weather here changes in a blink of a eye and the forcast this time of year always says chance of thunder storms lol. by the time i got back
outside and my camera out again the hail had shrank from dime sized to this
also note how bright and sunny it is in most of the pics lol

2012-03-31_18-06-14_468.jpg

i live in some crappy apartments but this was sidewalk not a minute before the rain started.

2012-03-31_18-01-42_328.jpg

and imo it looks alot better already

IMG_20120331_175045.jpg

now to figure out what to do with all that other :supergay: chrome. lol i dont mean to be a chrome hater but i hate chrome for the most part.

but i do like these mirrors......
http://www.ebay.com/itm/97-02-97-98...es&hash=item256ee9b9c5&vxp=mtr#ht_1414wt_1064
kind of low on my list of things to get though
i need a alternator and battery before anything else just got to save up and get that 200 amp one baker showed me.

Jason_CPAPS

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was just looking at mine friday. As well mine is bubbling and was thinking of pulling it off. Nice write up

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My chrome section of the moulding is bubbled in places. I was just planning to plasti-dip it black, but maybe removal is a better bet since it's just tape.

OP
OP
W

workman8505

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the plasti-dip looks alright to though. i thought bout it but didnt feel like going to the store lol. also i only have two small dents and when i mean small they are about the size of half a penny but thats cause i park it as far away from anything as i can. even though i do take it off road i still baby that thing. so just know once its gone there is nothing between your doors and other ppl slamin their doors into it. but i also want to make my truck look clean and smooth out the bodie lines shave everthing i dont need and lift it even though its only 2wd. but thats me lol

OP
OP
W

workman8505

Full Access Members
Reaction score
got some more done today

got to work on the expy tiday woooo...... any way this was one of the things on my todo list and is still on my todo list but i got some more done

finished the passengers side

34E7B0F9-orig.jpg

50D777DB-orig.jpg

started getting the drivers side

3EDCEDDC-orig.jpg

and sun went down on me half way through so maybe ill get the rest tomorrow

5C8BCE13-orig.jpg

but i also got everything i ordered off ebay today so i will probably do some electrical tomorrow i got a volt meter thats better than the stock one for 3 bucks and six switches for 3 bucks so i couldn't pass em up ive been needing both for add on's here and there

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire