2 Newb Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nate03

Reaction score
I just bought a 17 Expy XLT. They claimed to have put new brake pads on the front and it does have new tires. My questions are

No matter how I baby it 16.5 to barely 17 is best mpg I can get and I have easy drive to work. Is that normal? And I mean babying. Coasting to stop signs etc. I just wonder if it’s new Michelin defender tires which look huge. When I drove a different one I got 18 during 20 mile test drive and I was much harder on it.

Second after one drive to work and back 24 miles, rims have a decent amount of brake dust. Is that normal or did they put some cheap brake pads on it. It has 31k miles.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your MPG is good. Thats about what you can expect during off-highway driving. It should avg 18-24 on the highway, with a sweet spot seeming to be in the 65-70 MPH range.

Brake dust after 24 miles? That sucks, and OEM pads don't dust at all (that I've seen on mine).

OP
OP
N

Nate03

Reaction score
Your MPG is good. Thats about what you can expect during off-highway driving. It should avg 18-24 on the highway, with a sweet spot seeming to be in the 65-70 MPH range.

Brake dust after 24 miles? That sucks, and OEM pads don't dust at all (that I've seen on mine).
Thank you! I thought they might be cheap brakes.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 17 Expy XLT. They claimed to have put new brake pads on the front and it does have new tires. My questions are

No matter how I baby it 16.5 to barely 17 is best mpg I can get and I have easy drive to work. Is that normal? And I mean babying. Coasting to stop signs etc. I just wonder if it’s new Michelin defender tires which look huge. When I drove a different one I got 18 during 20 mile test drive and I was much harder on it.

Second after one drive to work and back 24 miles, rims have a decent amount of brake dust. Is that normal or did they put some cheap brake pads on it. It has 31k miles.
I can confirm Bob's Post. I get no brake dust with the factory pads. I've got 7,000 miles on mine now best highway mileage mileage that I've seen was 17.5 MPG at 75-80. Around town I see more like 14-15 MPG. It's a big heavy SUV and I'm happy with the mileage I'm getting, I knew it wasn't going to get super high mileage.

OP
OP
N

Nate03

Reaction score
I can confirm Bob's Post. I get no brake dust with the factory pads. I've got 7,000 miles on mine now best highway mileage mileage that I've seen was 17.5 MPG at 75-80. Around town I see more like 14-15 MPG. It's a big heavy SUV and I'm happy with the mileage I'm getting, I knew it wasn't going to get super high mileage.
One more question, when I first take off and go to stop signs and it downshifts it makes a soft clunk between gears when coasting. It also occasionally does this when taking off It's more of a clunk than I would like, but not bad enough to scare me. Do you have that too? This was a corporate fleet vehicle which is why the high mileage and good deal. I wonder if I should just have the tranny fluid flushed. I love the way it rides though and love driving it. It just feels good.

kekman

Reaction score
All response so far are accurate. On the brake dust, do you know if they turned the rotors? If not, then you would get an aggressive break in period with a lot of dust initially- especially if the rotors are grooved.

If they didn't turn the rotors, then I would question the quality of the brake job which would also include questioning the type of pads used.

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score

I get 14 city and 19 highway in 2016 Platinum EL 4x4 with 35s

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One more question, when I first take off and go to stop signs and it downshifts it makes a soft clunk between gears when coasting. It also occasionally does this when taking off It's more of a clunk than I would like, but not bad enough to scare me. Do you have that too? This was a corporate fleet vehicle which is why the high mileage and good deal. I wonder if I should just have the tranny fluid flushed. I love the way it rides though and love driving it. It just feels good.
Take a look at this video for the clunk. Its one possibility.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't notice any clunking, but then mine still only has 7,000 miles on it.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I have the same exact clunk as you have. Ive mentioned it on here before. I was told it was the torque converter doing its thing. Its annoying as all get out but ive learned to ignore it