2 questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Countrygirl

Reaction score
1. Ok now I'm being told by a so-called expert on cars (coworker) that I need to get a tune-up or at the very least, change the spark plugs. Never been done on my truck, it's a 2003 w/ 125k miles.
Is this a good idea?

2. Next question, what can I do to help w/ gas mileage? I used to get a whopping 14 mpg, now I'm down to about 12. I'd like to get up to 14 again! Or is that just crazy-thinkin? :)

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1. If your plugs haven't been replaced recently, you should replace them, along with new wires or COPs. depending on which motor you have. I would have a shop do this if you don't have very much mechanical experience, but if you do, you will be fine to do yourself as long as you go slow. ~150 for plugs and wires

2. Replacing your old spark plugs and wires will help with efficiency since you will have a better spark. Lots of us just have drop in K&N filters which only run around $50 and are very easy to maintain. Replacing your fuel filter can also help and is ~ $15. You can also get a better flowing exhaust that will help out too. Exhaust work varies in price depending on what you get. Programmers will probably get you the biggest gain of mpg along with power, but run around 3-600 depending on which one you get. You will also get best results from a programmer with an upgraded intake and exhaust.

Also make sure your tires are always at the right PSI and rotated when needed, because that does make a difference in mpg, and makes them last longer.

BigDaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
everything he said is what you should do

Yep. I couldn't agree more.

I just changed the fuel filter on my '02 on Saturday. The filter and tool cost me about $16 and it took about 10 minutes of time.

Plugs and COPs are next on my list.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd say do it. Ford recommends 100k mile interval, and even that is pushing it a bit. You should only need to do plugs, not COPs.

If it hasn't been changed, change the fuel filter. Very easy to do, and if it's never been changed, could really improve your mileage. Also, make sure your tires are aired up at least to OEM spec (35 PSI). I usually run mine at 40 PSI.

twisted

Reaction score
i had the same problem.. i put in e3 plugs, k&n fitpak, catback exhaust, 1" throttlebody spacer. all of this seemed to help but the plugs and the fitpak did the most. When is the last time you had your injectors cleaned? im not sure about the 03 but i have individual coils at eeach plug.. a weak coil can have an effect aslo. just some ideas. Tuning is something you do once you have othe items in place like , high flow exhaust and high flow intake...ect. stick with plugs, and intake that should help alot... on and btw... raise your foot abit off the gas pedal.. that helped me too