2000 awd Expy rusted rear body mounts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Petesexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
image5.jpeg image3.jpeg image1 (1).jpeg My rear-most body mounts (not the bushing/bolt - the actual mounts) are rusted to the point that the only thing holding the body above the frame are an "L-shaped remnants of what some call "c-channel cross-members. I was willing to spend up to $1,000 in repairs, but even the most promising body shop declined the repair (everybody claims it's off-chassis repair). Does anybody have a clever way to fix it while still on the frame? I was thinking of maybe extending to the floor by adding bushings, and to weld a plate on the inside of the trunk and bolt it through that.
Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Plati

Reaction score
Any chance you could post a picture? I rolled around under my 2003 XLT yesterday to look for stuff like that. It was better than I expected. I bought a can of Liquid Wrench Rust Inhibitor to shoot on anything needy. Only spot in the back end looked horrible was the gas fill tube and the other tube parallel to it. I shot them up good. Hit the fuel filter. Then I got around the wheel wells that are going. My quarter panels are too shot to worry about, but I may get at them on my next go round anyway. In the front I hit some spots that look like radiator mounting & some of the metal fluid lines. I reached in with a rag and got more metal fluid lines in engine compartment on drivers side. Overall the girl looked pretty good but I'll have to do this a couple more times to learn how to find the problem areas.

OP
OP
P

Petesexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any chance you could post a picture? I rolled around under my 2003 XLT yesterday to look for stuff like that. It was better than I expected. I bought a can of Liquid Wrench Rust Inhibitor to shoot on anything needy. Only spot in the back end looked horrible was the gas fill tube and the other tube parallel to it. I shot them up good. Hit the fuel filter. Then I got around the wheel wells that are going. My quarter panels are too shot to worry about, but I may get at them on my next go round anyway. In the front I hit some spots that look like radiator mounting & some of the metal fluid lines. I reached in with a rag and got more metal fluid lines in engine compartment on drivers side. Overall the girl looked pretty good but I'll have to do this a couple more times to learn how to find the problem areas.
Mine is holding by a thread. The last guy I hoped would work on it said he has never seen anything likje that on any car. I just have to figure out how to post pictures here.

OP
OP
P

Petesexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In the image above is the driver side mount. as you can see the entire c-channel crossmember is practically gone.

Plati

Reaction score
Holy cow that is FUGLY. I don't even recognize where that is and its too dark/wet to look now or I would be out there. thanks for the pic, when I can I'm going to find that and shoot it up with Rust Inhibitor for good luck.

My Mom used to have a Honda Accord that actually looked good from outside but had to be scrapped because of stuff like this hiding underneath. I think back then it was a unibody and didn't have a frame.

I really expected to find massive rust by front wheels ... think its called the shock tower, but I didn't see much problem. That's why I think I may have to look a few more times.

Rust is the enemy for my vehicle, water is the enemy for my house.

OP
OP
P

Petesexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Holy cow that is FUGLY. I don't even recognize where that is and its too dark/wet to look now or I would be out there. thanks for the pic, when I can I'm going to find that and shoot it up with Rust Inhibitor for good luck.

My Mom used to have a Honda Accord that actually looked good from outside but had to be scrapped because of stuff like this hiding underneath. I think back then it was a unibody and didn't have a frame.

I really expected to find massive rust by front wheels ... think its called the shock tower, but I didn't see much problem. That's why I think I may have to look a few more times.

Rust is the enemy for my vehicle, water is the enemy for my house.
If you look over the rear wheel a bit toward the rear, you should see just a c-channel cross-member running parallel and on top of the frame. These are the remnants. If yours is rusty, try poking holes into it.

Plati

Reaction score
Just went out and looked, this looks like same area ... not sure. Sort of next to/behind rear driver wheel looking back. Looked at it yesterday and again just now ... obviously rusted but doesn't seem like a problem, but I'm kinda slow and I have not yet understand where strength comes from. It looks worse in picture than real life! I have 2003 you have 2000. I don't think I have C channel, just body that might rust through soon?

Second pic is the gas filler tubes. I don't know what the parallel one is for? Must be for venting or fumes recirculation?
IMG_1732.JPG
IMG_1729.JPG

Last edited:

Plati

Reaction score
Spray everything with fluid film and drive it till JUST BEFORE the wheels fall off :)
fixed it for ya

honestly, the wheels and important parts look ok
at least the ones I looked at and understand a little
its the sheet metal type things that have joined the dust on the side of the road
frame looks solid as do suspension components

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waleedalmadani