2000 Eddie Bauer or 2016 XLT - what would you buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

larkja

Reaction score
I work 2 miles from work and drive, on average, around 7,000 miles/year. Currently test driving a 2016 XLT 4wd, cloth seats, 98,000 miles, pretty bare bones. This one's for sale from CarMax so I have 30 days or 1,500 miles to test her out. I have taken a couple trips and she seems very solid. Drives incredibly well; lots of power; very smooth; no weird noises, etc. Went to the mountains (300 mile trip) and averaged 18 mpg. Sale price $25,000.

Just found a local 2000 Eddie Bauer 4wd with 110,000 miles. All receipts from new. Transmission replaced 8,000 miles ago with a Jasper unit. Appears to have been garaged. Paint is nice and interior is very clean with minor wear on the seats. AC blows cold. New tires. No leaks, rattles, or strange engine noises. Asking price is $5,900. Seems a bit high, but that's the starting point. Private party sale.

We have three teenage boys so third seat is a must. The 3rd row in the 2016 is very useable and extra space for luggage. The 3rd row on the 2000 is a bench that folds up, so a lot of wasted space. Need a 4wd because we do go to the mountains in the winter.

So, what say you community? Stick with the 2016 or roll the dice with the 2000? Price is not an issue (paying cash either way). But with the 2000, I'll have an extra $20k+ in my pocket. Enough for repairs as needed.

Thanks

zfifty

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since Carmax has such a good reputation for their honesty, I would keep the 2016, as i am sure Carmax will guarantee it's reliability. In the meantime, please send me the number of the private party seller of the 2000. Thanks.

zfifty

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Seriously I couldn't return the 2016 fast enough and buy the 2000 fast enough, if it is as you describe. The $20,000 saved could be very useful in the future. You do you.

zfifty

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Seeing as I have 250,000 miles on my 2000, at your annual rate of driving, itt gives you another 20 years to reach that goal, on that 2000.

Last edited:

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The 2000 is a solid car. Just remember it's a 22 year old truck. Part availability and reliability won't be the same as new. If you can live with that, you'll certainly be in a better place financially. And if you don't mind a little work now an then, you'll be way ahead.

Just check for rust, especially around the side body mounts, radiator supports and brake lines above the fuel tank. And get tat price down; $5900 is ridiculous.

zfifty

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just so you know currently for that 2000 model Expedition in very good condition the Kelly Blue Book value is $3,100 to $5,100. If you maintain it you probably will be able to sell it in 5 years for what you pay for it today. Don't think that will be the same for the 2016 in 5 years. Of course the value is relative to what someone is willing to pay and how bad someone wants to get rid of it.

I have not had any problem obtaining parts for any of my first editions. Anything I have needed have been economical compared to newer vehicles and plentiful. That may not be the case in the future. They built tons of the first editions and used parts in my area are easily obtainable also. One thing I have heard is no longer obtainable new is the gas tank and related parts. Through the help of this forum there are fixes for just about everything. Either way is good, if good for you. Good luck in whatever you decide.

jparadee

Reaction score
I recently gave away my 2000 Expy EB and it had over 300K on the odometer. Repairs on the 2000 may be more spendy than the 2016 unless you're into DIY. But the 5.4 or the 4.6 are tried and true. Go with the 2000, save the $$$.

OP
OP
L

larkja

Reaction score
Thanks all. Looked at it this afternoon and it was super clean. But I need the third row seat. I sat in it and my legs were cramped and my head hit the roof (and I'm only 5' 9"). So, not going to work for my teenagers. Bummer, because it was a nice rig.

zfifty

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks larkja for letting us know. Comfort is a priority to me too. Enjoy your new to you expedition and let the forum know of any other questions or advice you may have.