2000 Expedition EB spitting 4 codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EBExpoMom

Reaction score
Hello, my Expedition is spitting 4 different codes. It is a 2000 Ford Expedition 2WD Eddie Bauer Edition, it has a 4.6 Triton with 270,000 miles. Check Engine Light came on with a code for a misfire in Cylinder 7, we replaced the Spark Plug, and it didn't fix the issue. We then replaced the Coil, and that fixed the issue. It had no codes and was driving perfectly fine again. We parked it for a week while we were on vacation, and when we got home and drove it, it started the vibrations again, and this time it is spitting all 4 of these codes. We know that when 1 coil goes out, they likely will all start going out. Replacing all Coils and Spark Plugs is our next step, but the other 3 codes seem unrelated to the Cylinder Misfire. I know it has a lot of miles, but it has stayed very well maintained. Which is why this is so concerning because it all seemed to have happened at once.

CODES:
-P0305 - Cylinder 5 misfire
-P1132 - Lack of HO2S11 Switch - Rich
-P1400 - DPFE Circuit Low Input
-P0443 - Evap Emissions System Purge CVC

SYMPTOMS:
-Check Engine Light
-Severe Vibrations at lower RPMs (1200-1600)
-Misfire
-Check Engine Light begins flashing if driven above 2300 RPMs (going uphill or accelerating)
-Fuel Efficiency Depleted (average of 8.7mpg at this point)

The motor is powerful, no hesitations, no cranking issues, transmission is strong, no overheating, very quiet (I have had numerous Expedition Enthusiasts comment on how quiet mine is), it idles good aside from being able to hear/feel the misfire is Cylinder 5, and honestly if it wasn't for the service Light, vibration, and fuel issues you wouldn't know there was any issues at all. Which is why I believe it is likely an electrical issue sonewhere, as the hardware all seems to be in working order.

Anyone else have these issues? Could 1 thing have triggered 2 or more of these codes? I know the misfire is a big issue, and I know fixing it will help a lot, but the other 3 codes seem u related to the misfire.

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I would definitely change the coil packs with OEM first then reset the codes and go from there. Is there a lot of miles on the plugs?

OP
OP
E

EBExpoMom

Reaction score
We gave it the normal run through when we bought it about a year ago. Oil change, new oil filter, new transmission filter and fluids, new battery, new spark plugs, new brakes, new rotors, new tires, and all the fluids topped off. Got it at 220,000 miles and it just hit 260,000. So, the spark plugs only have about 40,000 miles on them. Not brand new, but definitely not that old either...

OP
OP
E

EBExpoMom

Reaction score
I would definitely change the coil packs with OEM first then reset the codes and go from there. Is there a lot of miles on the plugs?
Well, we got the coils changed and replaced all the sparkplugs again. We made sure all the Cylinders were cleaned before the Spark plugs were inserted. However, it still says Cylinder 5 misfire. I pulled the plug, cleaned it again (was wet, somehow) reset, and it spit the same code. So, I pull the plug back out, and it is wet again... I'm at a loss. It is like it isn't putting off anything to make the Spark so the fuel is just sitting in the Cylinder, and once the plug gets wet it can't fire. I just don't know what could cause this...

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Inspect the #5 coil harness plug and wiring. If you have a Noid light plug it into the harness plug and see if it strobes when the engine is running, like it would be firing the coil. When were the oxygen sensors last replaced ? The front passenger side sensor is throwing you that P1132 code.

Noid Light Test Kit on Amazon

Coil Spark Tester on Amazon

Replacement Coil Harness Plugs on Amazon

Ford DPFE Sensor on Amazon

Motorcraft CX1597 Purge Control Valve on Amazon

Motorcraft DY835 Oxygen Sensor on Amazon

Last edited:

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Possibly a stuck or misfiring injector or injector with a bad spray pattern