2000 Expy A4wd 4H 4L Shifting Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

door54

Reaction score
21 years of limited but flawless performance has come to an end. The truck is used on highway or running through the Mojave Desert as I chase/photograph off road motorsports racing. That has been its mission for the last decade. Original owner. Last spring it began to malfunction by not shifting on the fly into 4H, or at complete stop in neutral with foot on brake into 4L.
Unless..I disconnected positive battery cable for an instant then reconnected it. Then back to normal as shift dial on dash gave command...it performed as expected. Over the next 12 months the malfunction manifested itself in different ways but there have been work arounds discovered that kept me rolling. Oh..and lately (at the worst time to do it) fuel consumption has put me down 3-4 mpg constantly. its always been a 10mpg hog but not now. Its been well maintained..no leaks..fluids not an issue. 150K original miles.
Yesterday on another gas run.. I attempted to put it through a A4wd to 4H test and it was a no go. Switch turned but no response on dash light or from transfer case but some intermittant clicking coming from what sounded like from behind the switch. (Switch was replaced in January while dash was apart and it improved the shifting enigma quite a bit).
Yesterday the dash light finally woke up and 4WH engaged. Some slight turning of the wheel at 5-7 mph confirmed asphalt binding...stopping and dropping it into 4L was successful as well. But.. when turning switch back to A4wd the dash light turned off but it was hung up in 4H or 4L as well. No light on dash for either 4H or 4L but I couldnt get it back into A4wd...unless I shut off the engine. when engine was restarted it defaulted back to A4wd. Sorry for the extended monolog...just providing the nitty gritty for y'all

Expd830

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It’s the transfer case that needs to be replaced mine did the same exact thing after 22 years. It now works just fine