2000 Expy with rough idle no CEL??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey, i have 2000 expy with 147k on it. it has a rough idle and hesitation (feels like its missing a cylinder) however the check engine light is not on? Is this anything you have experienced. Maybe just needs new plugs? If the coil was bad would it throw a check engine light? thanks for your help

Well I just back from autozone and they said that my check engine light was not working and that the code showed #4 Cylinder misfiring. So now 2 questions - does a check engine light go bad or do you think the guy i bought it from disconnected it? (i just picked it up yesterday) and in order to replace coil and spark plug on that far back to i have to take the fuel rail off? meaning I will need orings for the injectors?

Last edited:

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
no you should be able to do the job with out removing the
injector. also look for a coolant leak right above this plug (the plug is on the passnger side all the way in the back)fix this first
replace all plugs and the boots . then go from there.

mustangrfast88

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if it is the number 4 plug it is the one one the passanger side all the way in the back and if the number 4 is the one on the driver side you dont have to take the fuel rail off to get to it, it is the number 7 plug you have to remove the fuel rail to get too

mustangrfast88

Full Access Members
Reaction score
as for the check engine light the bulb could of went bad but highly unlikely he might have know about the problem and disconnected it

OP
OP
P
Reaction score
Fixed!

Hey guys replaced the coil and spark plug on #4 cylinder and runs great now - i am going to replace all plugs this weekend. Thanks for the help!!

mustangrfast88

Full Access Members
Reaction score
good luck on the plugs and make sure the engine is cold when you change the plugs and put anti suize on all the plugs and make sure you get them tigth

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mustangrfast88
if it is the number 4 plug it is the one one the passanger side all the way in the back and if the number 4 is the one on the driver side you dont have to take the fuel rail off to get to it, it is the number 7 plug you have to remove the fuel rail to get too

Do you even read the other posts before you post
you almost typed my post word for word :confused: :rolleyes:
strange i never have taken the fuel rail off to remove #7

Last edited:

mustangrfast88

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well justforfun do you have a 4.6 or the 5.4 and on a 2000 you have to pull the fuel rail to change number 7 on a 5.4

and yes i read post before i post

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
i have a 5.4 2001 and no i did not pull the rail
ummm Snap-on two stage extentions first stage strait
second (slight pull on plug socket)stage is a wobel
so no injector interferance.
good tools make all the diffrence in the world

mustangrfast88

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i got good tools but my problem was there was this little silver thing right above the number 7 plug that i could not get to no matter what i tried thats why i had to pull the fuel rail