2001 4.6 Expedition with engine problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cardana24

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am new here and I just picked up an 01 Expedition. It has a 4.6 engine...but it has problems. The CEL is on and, it came back with three codes. P0353 Ignition Coil C primary/secondary circuit malfunction, P0303 cylinder 3 misfire, P0304 cylinder 4 misfire. Tonight I did a compression check on the right side of the engine. Here are the results:
4-180
3-0
2-180
1-300+

So obviously I have a problem is cylinder 3. The spark plug on cylinder 3 had the end of the strap missing. Not sure if that cause the problem or if the head gasket is blown. There is no compression on cylinder 3 at all...the gauge does not move at all when you crank the engine (normally on other cars I have tested with blown head gaskets the normally register some pressure). Also, I should mention that it looks like there is oil in the coolant.

What would cause extremely high compression pressure on cylinder 1? I have never see this happen before. The engine turned over probably 5 or 6 times and by that time it had jumped up to over 300 psi. So I took the compression tester out and then re installed it just to verify the results and the same thing happened. What would cause this?

So what long blocks will fit in an 01 expedition? Will any of the E150 van engines work, or the F150s? I know I need a Romeo engine, but I am having trouble finding out if any other long blocks will work.

Thanks for any help.

khpony

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My firs t thought is did you buy it from a dealer or individual? If a dealer I'd look to them for help. If an individual, was it sold as is or did they represent it as being in excellent condition. If none of those apply then I'd replace plug on 3 then run another test. I've messed with cars for 30 years and never seen 300psi on a cylinder. Maybe someone else will chime in here.

Shadowless127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am new here and I just picked up an 01 Expedition. It has a 4.6 engine...but it has problems. The CEL is on and, it came back with three codes. P0353 Ignition Coil C primary/secondary circuit malfunction, P0303 cylinder 3 misfire, P0304 cylinder 4 misfire. Tonight I did a compression check on the right side of the engine. Here are the results:
4-180
3-0
2-180
1-300+

So obviously I have a problem is cylinder 3. The spark plug on cylinder 3 had the end of the strap missing. Not sure if that cause the problem or if the head gasket is blown. There is no compression on cylinder 3 at all...the gauge does not move at all when you crank the engine (normally on other cars I have tested with blown head gaskets the normally register some pressure). Also, I should mention that it looks like there is oil in the coolant.

What would cause extremely high compression pressure on cylinder 1? I have never see this happen before. The engine turned over probably 5 or 6 times and by that time it had jumped up to over 300 psi. So I took the compression tester out and then re installed it just to verify the results and the same thing happened. What would cause this?

So what long blocks will fit in an 01 expedition? Will any of the E150 van engines work, or the F150s? I know I need a Romeo engine, but I am having trouble finding out if any other long blocks will work.

Thanks for any help.

I think the only long blocks that will fit are going to be the F150, Expedition, and maybe the 02-03 Explorer/Mountaineer.

OP
OP
C

cardana24

Reaction score
My firs t thought is did you buy it from a dealer or individual? If a dealer I'd look to them for help. If an individual, was it sold as is or did they represent it as being in excellent condition. If none of those apply then I'd replace plug on 3 then run another test. I've messed with cars for 30 years and never seen 300psi on a cylinder. Maybe someone else will chime in here.

I bought it from a private seller knowing that it had engine problems. I don't think I got screwed, I am just trying to figure out the best route to go when fixing it. Other than the engine it is in very good shape. It's an 01 No Boundries XLT.
The cylinder pressure on #4 just kept going up....It went well over 300. I have never seen that either. Do you guys know of a good place other than ebay or car-part to source a used engine in good condition?

Shadowless127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought it from a private seller knowing that it had engine problems. I don't think I got screwed, I am just trying to figure out the best route to go when fixing it. Other than the engine it is in very good shape. It's an 01 No Boundries XLT.
The cylinder pressure on #4 just kept going up....It went well over 300. I have never seen that either. Do you guys know of a good place other than ebay or car-part to source a used engine in good condition?

High compression in one cylinder can be excessive carbon build up on the piston.

Car-Part/eBay are your 2 best options to source new engines.