2003 5.4 misfire maybe caused by other issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cb540

Reaction score
P0301 - misfire cylinder 1
P0316 - misfire within first 1000 revs
5.4L Triton

I've got a few issues that I think are all rolled into one here and I'm trying to pin this down and see if I can resolve it myself before I take it to a shop.

First off, when I crank the engine after it's been sitting for a while there is a LOUD rattle noise for just a brief moment, maybe 1-2 seconds at most. It sounds like someone sticking something in a running fan but my radiator fan is clean and clear. It seems to only do it when the car has sat overnight.

Second, there is a constant tick. It's not coming from the engine compartment though, I hear it the loudest when I am listening just behind the front wheels. I was thinking maybe a leaky header connection or exhaust leak? It's been doing it for a while and I drive the vehicle off-road every other weekend so I figured I had just knocked an exhaust clamp loose and was hearing an exhaust leak. It's actually been doing it for like a year and I sometimes don't even hear it or notice it. I guess it could be something else?

The misfires happened yesterday morning and this morning. Yesterday when I cranked the car before heading to work it shuddered really hard and then got worse when I put it in gear. It settled down after just a short drive down the rd, just a block or 2.

This morning it did it again, only it didn't shudder as much when cranked but really started to when I put it in gear. This time the check engine light came on. It settled out after about a mile but the light stayed on. Just by luck someone at work has a OBD2 reader and that's where I got the codes from. After multiple cranks in the parking lot trying to get it to replicate, the light eventually went off and it's no longer misfiring?

It's been wet and rainy here the last few days and it's been really cool out with lots of dew/moisture hanging around the last 2 mornings. While messing with the car today I noticed a considerable amount of water leaking from a clamp on the exhaust pipe under the vehicle. It wasn't dripping down onto the pipe, i checked the top and it's dry, it was coming from the pipe itself I'm pretty sure. (this is not the same location I think I can hear an exhaust leak but about a foot or 2 behind it, directly under the driver seat area)

Last edited:

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The water you noticed might be moisture accumulated inside the pipe itself. The rattle like noise may be a worn or loose timing chain. Check all plugs and coils then scan it again.

stimpson.j.cat

Reaction score
Sounds like multiple problems.

I'm going to hazard a guess that you have a leaky boot on your #1 COP (coil over ignition) given you state it's been raining and you saw water leaking. The COP itself may be bad also. But boots are much cheaper. There is a procedure to check the COP here (https://www.f150forum.com/f6/how-test-coil-pack-17249/). Remember to use dielectric grease to seal the boot. Luckily #1 is easy to get to :)

The ticking may be cam phasers...

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
P0301 -

Second, there is a constant tick. It's not coming from the engine compartment though, I hear it the loudest when I am listening just behind the front wheels. I was thinking maybe a leaky header connection or exhaust leak? It's been doing it for a while and I drive the vehicle off-road every other weekend so I figured I had just knocked an exhaust clamp loose and was hearing an exhaust leak. It's actually been doing it for like a year and I sometimes don't even hear it or notice it. I guess it could be something else?

You say its not coming from the engine compartment BUT you THINK it could be a header or exhaust leak. Kind of a confusing statement as I do believe that the header or exhause is also located in the engine compartment.

Check the exhaust manifold for any rusted bolts or cracks Just a hint its located in the engine compartment

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PalosX