2016 cylinder misfire issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MidnightBruce

Reaction score
Good afternoon! Man, it sounds like you've had a really difficult time chasing this down.

I will share my story a little bit of my vehicle and hopefully it might spark an idea of why your vehicle is exhibiting some of the symptoms it is.

I have a 2016 EL 3.5L And even though we don't tow very often,when we do I've never had an issue. 105,000, mi on the ticker and the only things I've ever done to this vehicle are a water pump replacement at 50k and a CV joint that had a leaking boot in the rear at the same time. At about 60,000 mi We were experiencing bucking while under load And after doing some research I drilled the 1/64-in hole on the driver side bottom of the intercooler at the lowest point. It definitely weeps out a ton of blow-by. So I have to stuff paper towel at that location to absorb most of the moisture and keep it from dripping. That being said, this thing has never once given me an issue as I did have some of the bucking problems before. I also regularly use full synthetic 5W40 And use the Lucas Oil full system fuel cleaner every 6,000 mi. As well as use the turbo direct injection cleaner every 3K. Most of these things are just preventative, but I believe they have helped with preventing some of these issues. I replaced my spark plugs And spark plug boots every 30k and I gap them at 0.027 And I checked the gap every 10K. I often drive the vehicle very spirited with lots of wot full pulls through all the gears when I am behind the wheel. Since this is my wife's car, it doesn't get driven very spirited unless I'm in the driver's seat.

I really hope you do get some resolution to this as chasing down a random misfire that doesn't show up in the codes is very very challenging.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I really hope you do get some resolution to this as chasing down a random misfire that doesn't show up in the codes is very very challenging.
I sent my wife halfway across the country to visit some newfound discovered relatives and the engine was misfiring at heavy load. She has a lead foot. Found one of those blue shop towels in the filter box when she got back. Ooops...my bad.

Ellison Brown III

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I found that pulling your sensors and cleaning them helped me when I got misfires. Out of the three I pulled the MAP sensor was the nastiest; would be saturated in dirty oil. Of course I would see improvement after cleaning… right up until it would get nasty all over again. Adding a catch can help me resolve this issue.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I swapped coils, the shop swapped coils and the dealer swapped coils. It stayed on cylinder 3 each time.

Also I have not checked the plug gap but 6 new plugs were installed that come pre gapped from what I understand.
I've read all that crap about pre-gapped spark plugs and every time i swap plugs on any of our vehicles, I ALWAYS find a few gapped wrong - by a lot.

drbr0b0tnik

Reaction score
I've read all that crap about pre-gapped spark plugs and every time i swap plugs on any of our vehicles, I ALWAYS find a few gapped wrong - by a lot.

This. I remember reading on here a while back when I was going through my plug woes, a guy who had to go back to his retailer like 3 times before he got plugs that were all pre-gapped in spec.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire