2003 EB Cuts Out at Idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaveS1955

Reaction score
My 2003 Eddie Bauer (5.4 Liter) cuts out when idling at traffic lights. It is an intermitent problem and the check engine light does not come on so there are no codes to read. I took it to the Ford dealer and they changed the IAC with no improvement noticeable. I had the vehicle in when it was cutting out at high speed (65 to 75 MPH) and they replaced the PCV and Hose, performed a fuel injection service, replaced the air and fuel filters, battery (test weak cranking amps). The IAC was replaced two weeks later.

Other than buying a Toyota, does anyone have any ideas?

03ddie

Reaction score
Originally posted by DaveS1955
the check engine light does not come on so there are no codes to read.
Are you sure there aren't any codes? Just because the light doesn't come on doesn't mean it didn't throw a code. Im not sure about the fords, but on some other makes the light wont come on until it has thrown the same code 3 times within a certain time span.

Other than buying a Toyota, does anyone have any ideas?
Toyotas might have fewer problems, but when they do you'll have to max out a credit card to fix them.:eek:

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
when you say cut out does it completely just fall on it's face and die or does it just run really rough and then come back?
Matt R

OP
OP
D

DaveS1955

Reaction score
It completely dies.

I took it to another dealer that started asking some questions and they may be able to locate the problem. The orginal dealer apparently does not have any mechanics that can troubleshoot and isolate a problem unless the system throws them a code and tells them which part to replace.

The Expedition is a great vehicle but the way it is cutting out is becoming unsafe. It cut out on me going around a corner and I lost all power steering and brakes. I came within three inches of hitting a vehicle sitting at a stop sign. Had my wife been driving she would have hit the other car because she does not have the strength to turn the monster when the power steering goes. I was going less than 10 MPH and it took everything I had to turn and stop.

OP
OP
D

DaveS1955

Reaction score
By the way, my Expedition has over 119,000 miles and the only problems, other than normal maintenance was one coil went out at about 75,000 miles and the drivers door regulator broke at about 95,000. I also had a couple of door switches replaced due to Door Ajar issues.

With rotating every 5K and balancing every 10K, the original Continental tires lasted 77,000 miles. When I relaced the tires they had just passed a state safety inspection but I was going into snow country for a couple of weeks and wanted a little more than "good for inspection". The sepentine belt was relaced at 103,000 miles at my request.

All in all, I have not experienced the problems that I see on the forum. I didn't have the windsheild seal leak because I had to replace the windsheild at less than 3,000 miles after a truck threw a rock my way.

Keep them maintained and they should last quite awhile. It amazes me every time I back out of my garage and there isn't a drop of fluid (other than AC condensation) anywhere on the floor.

pronstar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Vacuum leak or a leak in your intake tract are two things that come to mind.

Is your fuel pressure good?
If your fuel filter is old, it could be slightly clogged.

Are your plugs relatively new?
They should have been replaced at 100K.

Your EGR ports could also be clogged at that mileage, but I don't htink that would cause the stalling.

Hmmm....

OP
OP
D

DaveS1955

Reaction score
Hmmm - is right.

Fuel filter was replaced at all recommended service intervals and also when I had the PCV problem at 118K when the dealer did the major injector cleaning.

Funny you ask about the fuel pressure. I decided to take the vehicle to a second dealer and after looking through all of the service tickets from the first dealer he found no indication where the pressures, running or bleed off, were ever checked.

Hopefully my Expedition is in good hands now with this other dealer. The Service Adviser at this dealership was willing to take twenty minutes on Saturday to talk to me about what the vehicle was doing and asked the questions necessary identify possible things to eliminate as problems or to include as potential problems. This method of conversing is something the original dealer has not done in over a year. In hindsight I think the first indication of trouble was when the original service adviser left and the dealer has had three service advisers in under one year.

As soon as I have the diagnosis I will post the corrective action and results.

pronstar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The orginal dealer apparently does not have any mechanics that can troubleshoot and isolate a problem unless the system throws them a code and tells them which part to replace.

That's becoming so common these days, it's really sad.

Definitely post up the solution.

OP
OP
D

DaveS1955

Reaction score
I got a call from dealer two this afternoon. Apparently there is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) that covers this problem. According to the TSB there is an electrical lead that runs around the power steering pump and oil pressure sending unit. The electrical lead may rub the power steering unit and cause a short to ground.

According to the service adviser they put some heat shrink on the electrical lead and ran the vehicle over the past two days. They did not experience the cutting out at idle.

Also according to the service advisor the problem with the electrical lead can cause any of the following.

Hard starting condition.
No starting condition.
Rough idle.
Cut out at idle.
Cut out when cornering.

The total repair bill is 79.00 for one hour of labor.

Since I am out of town this week and next, my wife will pick the vehicle up this weekend and take it for a ride to deterrmine the outcome. Hopefully the problem is solved.

I will post the outcome sometime this coming weekend.;)

Last edited:

pronstar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
there is an electrical lead that runs around the power steering pump and oil pressure sending unit. The electrical lead may rub the power steering unit and cause a short to ground.

I was gonna say that!
haha

Hopefully that fixes the problem!