2003 Expedition Rejuvenation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

donl

Reaction score
It's been a minute or two since I logged in but thought I might share and maybe get some helpful hints on future plans for my old Expy.

03 Expy, 4.6L/2V, lowered, Bilsteins, CA intake, electric fans, under drive pulley, 4:10 differential, shorty headers, Five Star tune, 175K miles and starting to use oil. A couple of conveniece and cosmetic upgrades over the years like navigaion, rear view camera, new upholstery, new steering wheel (the interior looks showroom) fresh paint and Foose 22" wheels. I am fond of the truck and it isn't worth anything to anyone but me. So, I have plans to rejuvenate the truck.
Ths basic plan:

Replace motor with a reman long block; haven't decided on source yet; suggestions welcome.
Refurbish heads and mild porting, one of the best porters in the country is a friend and 45 minutes down the road.
Mild cams, something from Comp Cams, haven't researched profiles enough to say which one.
Ken Bell super charger, mildly boosted.
Update Five Star tune; I have two, one for 87 and one for 93 octatne; both work great.

I would like to replace the shorty headers with full length but don't think they exist. If they do, please point me in the right direction. Only interested in bolt on, not interested in chopping up wheel wells or undercarriage modifications.

I was concerned about the crank but after watching Richard Holder's YouTube videos on supercharging the 4.6L/2v motors, he doesn't see the OEM crank as in issue is HP is kept at or under500 and the drive train not subjected to abuse.

I supposed the next issue will be the transmision. I expect it will become an issue handlling the new power. Any suggestions on a replacement or just rebuild the OEM four speed?

Any members that have hands on experience with similar projects are welcome to offer suggestions/comments but I don't need any anecdotal feedback not based in hands on experience.

Attachments

• expy black.3.jpg
    expy black.3.jpg
    476.6 KB · Views: 8
  • expy black.4.jpg
    expy black.4.jpg
    445.4 KB · Views: 8
  • expy black.5.jpg
    expy black.5.jpg
    448 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's been a minute or two since I logged in but thought I might share and maybe get some helpful hints on future plans for my old Expy.

03 Expy, 4.6L/2V, lowered, Bilsteins, CA intake, electric fans, under drive pulley, 4:10 differential, shorty headers, Five Star tune, 175K miles and starting to use oil. A couple of conveniece and cosmetic upgrades over the years like navigaion, rear view camera, new upholstery, new steering wheel (the interior looks showroom) fresh paint and Foose 22" wheels. I am fond of the truck and it isn't worth anything to anyone but me. So, I have plans to rejuvenate the truck.
Ths basic plan:

Replace motor with a reman long block; haven't decided on source yet; suggestions welcome.
Refurbish heads and mild porting, one of the best porters in the country is a friend and 45 minutes down the road.
Mild cams, something from Comp Cams, haven't researched profiles enough to say which one.
Ken Bell super charger, mildly boosted.
Update Five Star tune; I have two, one for 87 and one for 93 octatne; both work great.

I would like to replace the shorty headers with full length but don't think they exist. If they do, please point me in the right direction. Only interested in bolt on, not interested in chopping up wheel wells or undercarriage modifications.

I was concerned about the crank but after watching Richard Holder's YouTube videos on supercharging the 4.6L/2v motors, he doesn't see the OEM crank as in issue is HP is kept at or under500 and the drive train not subjected to abuse.

I supposed the next issue will be the transmision. I expect it will become an issue handlling the new power. Any suggestions on a replacement or just rebuild the OEM four speed?

Any members that have hands on experience with similar projects are welcome to offer suggestions/comments but I don't need any anecdotal feedback not based in hands on experience.
I did a lot of research cause I thought I was going to supercharger our F150 5.4L 2v, and the crank will handle a supercharger fine. You'll need to replace the heads and pistons so that yo7 can lower compression ratio. Monster transmissions makes full rebuild kits that are rated for around 660 HP. Look it up. Good luck!

OP
OP
donl

donl

Reaction score
The research I have done does not indiate a requirement to change pistons and/or heads to lower compression ratio. Both of Holder's YouTube videos are of PI and Non PI version and OEM pistons and heads were used in both and both were blown. OEM compression ratio for the 4.6L/2V in the '03 Expy is 9:1 which seems a resonable place to build from with a super charger.