2004 Expedition A/C question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

I was traveling down the road and decided to turn on the A/C. After a few minutes, it did not seem to get much cooler (outside temp was cool). I did not need the A/C but I wanted to test it. The Expedition has less than 800 miles on it. Anyway, I got home and got my thermometer out and put it in the vent. The compressor was cycling (although on and off times were about 20 seconds on and 10 seconds off). The temp. was 45 degrees at the vent after it ran for about 15 minutes. This was in my garage which was about 60 degrees inside. I thought this was not right so I put the thermometer in the vent of my 2003 Corvette and it was 33 degrees at the vent. Is there a problem with the Expedition? I don't want to be hot this summer and I SURE don't want an A/C system that is leaking from the factory. Is it possible someone on a test drive before I bought it let some freon out for meanness? Or is it just to cool out for the system to run at it's peak? Why is the Corvette's A/C so much cooler? Thanks a million for any help!

Fred69

Reaction score
AS I know it the Corvette has a very HD a/c system as the Vehicle is a fast rolling insulation blanket. 45 degrees sounds on the High side for cabin discharge. I believe the compressor shuts down @ 65 degrees ambient temp, except when defrost mode. another thing that will cause less than optimal performance is a idling vehicle which despite the fan @ the condensor coil does not allow enough air move thru the radiator unless the veh is moving. try the same test @ 65 mph on the freeway w/the cruise on, as pushing the pedal down can cause the compressor to turn off in order to provide max power to the drivetrain.

Then again if your not happy, call your dealer.

OP
OP
G

There have been a few instances over the years where we have had to add freon to some systems that were new. 45 degrees sounds close. I would take it to the dealer and get them to attach some gauges and check the high and low pressure readings on it just to be on the safe side.