2004 Expedition - What is this body member?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have a 2004 5.4 Expedition (Eddie Bauer). I live in Maryland and have to run this vehicle through safety inspection. I learned that my rusted out (non-existent) rockers will fail me, so I'm preparing to fix those. While I was checking the inner rockers, I noticed a rusted body member that runs from the driver side to the passenger side. I'm familiar with the mechanical stuff... but not so much with body components. I'm hoping someone can help me identify this thing...

Like I said... this thing goes from driver side to passenger side, up over the transmission. As far as position, it's basically in line with the front edge of the front seats. I've been searching online and best I can tell... this is a floor pan support member? Can anyone confirm that?

My questions... 1) Are the front seats in any way anchored to this thing? and 2) How much of a pain in the ass would it be to repair/replace this? Is it even worth the effort?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
OP
OP
A
Reaction score
hahM1k
This is the drivers side. Green arrow is pointing to the member in question. Rocker panel is to the left and body mount is at the top of the shot.

Brace_Driver.jpg

gNfwZ5
Here is the passenger side.

Brace_Pass.jpg

mfEqu5
Higher up on the passenger side. (On the other side of the frame and up against the floor pan) This area has rusted out some.

Brace_Pass_Upper.jpg

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You'll have to look, but there is a part number stamped on that piece. I'd call it a floor pan cross member. Yes its removable and replaceable, but it could very well also be repairable.

Have a look here:
https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts-list/2006-ford-expedition/floor-pan-center-and-rear.html

It appears to be part number 5L1Z-7810928-AA, which is the only part on that entire page that is discontinued. But, there very well could be hundreds sitting on dealers parts department shelves across the country if it actually does need to be replaced. Looks like the front seat anchors are thru this member. Without seeing it in person I'd say there are threaded nutplates attached to this piece for the front seat bolts.

Ernestcg

Reaction score
Mine is rusted out way more than this. I want to replace but haven't had time or money. As far as what its called I'm not sure, ive been calling it the floor support. I did scrap away all the loose rust and brushed on corroseal as far as I can up above heat shield. Ultimately I want to take heat shield down and weld in a piece on support or replace. If I replace the spot welds to floor have to be cut out and I'm trying to avoid that.