2005 5.4L collapsed lifter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pilotbri

Reaction score
The stealership tells me I have a collapsed lifter on the pax side. $1800 to replace the lifters and cam on the pax side.

Right now its only a tapping noise, and no noticeable loss of power or fuel economy. If I leave it alone, am I going to do more damage? Is there something that I can mitigate the tapping noise?

thanks

pb.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It will beat the snot out of cam and lifter if it hasn't already. There isn't a bandaid fix for this.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Excessive valve clearance from a collapsed lifter, is never a good thing. If it was a light tick, you can sometimes free up a sticky valve lifter with some marvel mystery oil added to your oil. That being said, if you have a totally collapse lifter, or worn rocker, nothing short of a tear down and replacement of worn parts is going to fix your problem. Buy or borrow a stethoscope and run alongside valve cover, to be sure it is the valve train, and not the cam phaser, or cam tensioners. Either way save your nickles, your gonna need them for repairs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Marvel Mystery Oil. In the crankcase and in the fuel tank. You should hear results within a few minutes. Temporary fix while you budget for repair or trade-in.