2005 limited -- What's this sound?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ArkFord

Reaction score
Ok, so first, I have a 2005 limited with 143k miles. It runs and drives GREAT for a 13 year old vehicle. Its my daily driver. We bought it with 69k miles on it and have had great luck with it. Spark plugs were changed a few months ago and throttle body was replaced last summer if I remember correctly.

It has been making this sound since we bought it. But, it has no impact on how it drives at all. In fact, if you did not roll the window down, you would never know its making this sound.

So while going through the drive through today, I thought I would video it and see if ya'll could tell me what it is and if its fixable and if I should worry about fixing it :) You will hear it the first time at about the 8 second mark I've heard other expeditions and f150s around the 2005 year making it before as well when they drive by. Is it the timing chain or something else?

Last edited:

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you can't do the work yourself, labor is what runs up the bill. See if you can find an independent shop in Little Rock that can do the work. You'll probably end up doing the chains, water pump, oil pump, belt, at the same time. You can buy all the parts yourself from Rock Auto, but the labor is most of the bill. Or let a shop look at it first and get their opinion of the problem before you start any repairs. But the factory oil pumps were weak on those early 3V motorrs and it contributes to early fatigue of the timing chains, guides, tensioners, etc ....

-Mike

Here's a good video to give you an idea of the labor in the repair....

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am with the others. Also adding to the noise may be the cam phasers, which will also need to be changed. Either way your looking at a pretty substantial bill ahead. Get it diagnosed obviously first.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Vonn

Reaction score
Ok, so first, I have a 2005 limited with 143k miles. It runs and drives GREAT for a 13 year old vehicle. Its my daily driver. We bought it with 69k miles on it and have had great luck with it. Spark plugs were changed a few months ago and throttle body was replaced last summer if I remember correctly.

It has been making this sound since we bought it. But, it has no impact on how it drives at all. In fact, if you did not roll the window down, you would never know its making this sound.

So while going through the drive through today, I thought I would video it and see if ya'll could tell me what it is and if its fixable and if I should worry about fixing it :) You will hear it the first time at about the 8 second mark I've heard other expeditions and f150s around the 2005 year making it before as well when they drive by. Is it the timing chain or something else?

Vonn

Reaction score
C109347A-08A8-412B-A34C-A50628D165BB.png A766644F-B525-48AB-9F19-960CF40B7CE4.png Hey there. I had the same issue and a handful of mechanics said the same thing as seen here.. HOWEVER.... You may be in luck..
There is evidently a very common problem with these engines..
If your symptoms are:

*When engine is hot, and only at idle you get a sound which is similar to the engine running on only a few cylinders... almost sounds like it is about to stall...

(Your sound was exactly like mine)
The problem is very likely VCT solenoids.
Variable Camshaft Timing Solenoid
There are 2 of them.. one on each side.
They are located under the valve covers..

Hopefully you are handy.. I’ll tell you why.
These CAN be changed more easily on the older engines. I believe in 2009-2010, that is when Ford redesigned the valve cover so it CANNOT be done without removal of the valve covers.
The Fu@kers made it so we have to spend $1000s in Labor to fix this but the older engines were easy.
Believe it or not, the dealer wanted over $2,000 USD to change mine. Fortunately I went to school for auto mechanics so I did it myself. You know how much the solenoid cost?? $60-$75 easy depending on where you get then aftermarket. (I used Advanced Auto Parts)
Your 2005 can very likely be done without removing the valve covers.
There is a round metal/rubber grommet on either side’s valve cover.. closer toward the front of the vehicle. You will see there is a wired connector which plugs into this grommet. That is the solenoid.. it’s actually shaped similar to a BBQ lighter and goes through the valve cover and bolts into the head.. there is 1 Torx bolt which holds that solenoid into the head.
All I will say is BE CAREFUL NOT TO DROP THAT SCREW WHEN TRYING TO REMOVE THAT SOLENOID.. Because if it falls, it’s likely to fall into the timing chain casing and that will be very expensive to retrieve..
There are COUNTLESS videos on YouTube about this issue.
Surprise surprise this has been a problem with the Ford 4.6/5.4L modular engines for over a decade.. and from what I hear THEY ALL FAIL AT SOME POINT. most of them prematurely. Especially if you often change your oil later than you should.
Anyway go find a guy on YouTube whose channel is “Ford TechMakuloko”
He’s a former ford tech and he really knows his sh... He has a video posted where he does remove the covers however I have seen other guys show it done without removal... but only on older models..
Here is a link to his video. He’s awesome. Be sure to subscribe to him and watch his others.
Good luck and I hope it helps.
PS.. He also has a link for the solenoids to buy on Amazon.
https://youtu.be/d0175WHWn54C109347A-08A8-412B-A34C-A50628D165BB.png A766644F-B525-48AB-9F19-960CF40B7CE4.png

Last edited: