2007 Expedition EL XLT battery icon on dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Triplet Dad

Reaction score
Recently the engine was making a whining noise specifically at idle. Yesterday when the wife was driving it the battery icon came on the dash and then there was some smoke from the engine then the battery totally died. I had the battery tested (it was bad) and replaced it. I was able to start the vehicle but the battery voltage was under 12V and going lower. I removed the engine cover and it seemed like the smoke was coming from the alternator - it also should have been about 14V while running. I replaced the alternator but the battery icon is still displayed on the dash. The voltage at the battery is about 13V but still not the 14+V that I would expect. I currently have a battery charger on it in case running it with a bad alternator drained the battery. I tested the battery with a load tester and it showed as good. Also, I removed all of the corrosion from the battery cables and made sure they were tight. Any ideas on what could be the issue?

Edit: I charged the battery last night and this morning the battery voltage was 12.8 and when the engine was running it was 14.8 which both seem good. I went to AutoZone and they did a battery test and it passed. They thought that maybe the light needed to be reset but their ODB tool was unable to do so. Any idea if this is something I need to take to a shop to have reset or should it reset on its own? Resistance from the ground terminal of the battery to the motor is .4 Ohms.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire