2008 Expedition XLT clunking when accelerating and slowing down.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpyOnly

Reaction score
2008 Expedition is clunking when accelerating and when coming to a stop. This only happens at low speeds. I changed the u joints as this seemed like where the sound was coming from. This didn’t fix it. I put a camera on all 4 wheel wells and on the rear differential and transmission. I posted the link below. I still cannot figure out what’s wrong. Anyone have any tips?

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8xJWJwW/

S20Workstation4

Reaction score
I have the same thing on my 2010 Expedition, usually at slow speeds I can hear a clunk, or accelerating lightly. Mine sounds like its coming from inside the transmission.
How many miles on your Expedition? If high mileage and still original trans/rear-end, my guess is that it is just wear on the drive-train, enough wear to cause a "clunk"

Merry Christmas,
- Joseph

OP
OP
ExpyOnly

ExpyOnly

Reaction score
I have the same thing on my 2010 Expedition, usually at slow speeds I can hear a clunk, or accelerating lightly. Mine sounds like its coming from inside the transmission.
How many miles on your Expedition? If high mileage and still original trans/rear-end, my guess is that it is just wear on the drive-train, enough wear to cause a "clunk"

Merry Christmas,
- Joseph

It does sound like it’s coming from inside the transmission. Although it seems to me more audible in the rear. The noise could just be traveling down the drive shaft. I have 282,000 miles.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How about finding a friend, chocking the wheels, apply the e-brake, start the truck, note where the engine is sitting at idle, stand on the brake pedal, put the truck in drive and gradually depress the gas pedal. Have your friend look at the engine while this is being done. Have him note how much the engine raises while pressure increase's. DO NOT STAND IN FRONT OF THE TRUCK OR PLACE FEET NEAR THE TIRES. After getting to whatever pressure you are comfortable with, rapidly remove your foot form the gas pedal. Please post results.
Sorry for going old school but I'm old.

Gussy-Larry

Reaction score
You might want to check the rear differential support bracket. There is a bushing in it that wears out and and when the diff is torqued the extra play causes a clunk. I think I noticed mine more when putting the vehicle in gear. Try sitting and going through all of the gears and listen for a clunk. FordTechMaculoco on YouTube has a video walking you through the repair.

71Rcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My buddies 2012 Expedition just under 200,000 miles had the same issue. I suggested to him was worn front wheel hub bearings and iwe actuators. He took it to his mechanic and his mechanic diagnosed and fixed the same things. In fact he had to replace his CV axles as well as they were chewed up. There are a couple recent threads on the wheel hubs and iwe plus several YouTube videos out there that show the how-to process. I bet you that's what it is. I had to replace mine on a solid, rust free Texas truck with 130,000 miles on it in the past two months.

Logan97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a similar noise on my 07, had to remove and re-grease the rear driveshaft, seems to have worked so far with 5,000 more miles on it.