2008 Ford Expedition shuttering in overdrive in low rpms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
copper

copper

Reaction score
quick question...when was the last time spark plugs were changed? I too had hesitation in over drive when the rpms were lower..I researched anything to do with transmission and found threads regarding tune ups and more specifically, changing out the plugs... I figured I'd rather it be the plugs than anything related to the tranny..swapped them out and my "tranny" hesitations disappeared...

I agree 100% and almost mentioned that but he said plugs and could were already done. Imo it's still worth looking into and probably the cause.

Misfires also wont always set a SES code so you'll need a scanner with Mode 6 to see all the misfires vs just the ones that set a code like most scanners show. I used Bluedriver and it work very well

Bluedriver.com

I changed them all about 4 weeks ago and the spark plugs to the new SP-546. Same old shuttering though.

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check the resistance in each of the coils. If one of the coils is not delivering full voltage, it will not ignite all the fuel under full throttle.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check the resistance in each of the coils. If one of the coils is not delivering full voltage, it will not ignite all the fuel under full throttle.
I think he'd be getting CEL if it was misfiring that much.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
I think he'd be getting CEL if it was misfiring that much.
Nope! They require a big number of misfires before it'll throw it. It pretty must needs to be almost a dead mis before they throw it. I've been there way to many times and has only popped a code once. That's what I get for not doing all my coils at once. And if the coils aren't oem I dont trust em

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I ordered Ford replacements and I checked the resistance of each one. While I was at the parts I had them put two back and bring me another two because they were more than 10% out from the other six.

Stay away from the aftermarket ones. They are made in China or Mexico and they are junk.

OP
OP
copper

copper

Reaction score
So we detected a misfire on cylinder 4, just 1 value count, and a general misfire of 0.24414%. We had some aftermarket coils that were made in the USA installed (yes I know), but the shuttering was the same with these just as before with the OEM ones. I cleaned up one the OEM ones and put it in cylinder 4. It seemed alright when I changed it, then it detected cylinder 5 for a misfire with 1 value count. The general misfire was now at 0.02544%. I then cleaned up all of the OEM coils and swapped them back in. Same exact shuttering. Now, with the aftermarket, I couldn't get much of any readings with them, but with these it detected cylinder 3, 4, and 5. All 1 value count, the general misfire read 0.248722% and A3 and A1 on ID A1 82 after formatting. We could swap in brand new Motorcraft coils, but we expected to see some line of difference for the shuttering between each of these scenarios. We're wondering if the some of the fuel injectors could be clogged and the system is making each entire bank go more rich, thus having more fuel than the other cylinders can burn up. I'm going to take a look and see. If they look good, we may see about some more Motorcraft coils. The OEM ones we have don't look bad at all, but still. The aftermarket had slightly shorter boots and springs(around 1/4"), so possibly more variance. It did drive just fine though at all other speeds, just like the OEM coils.

CaptOchs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought these coils because they were $30 for all 8 vs the $200 for 8 at AutoZone. I figure I'd give them a shot and return them if they do not work out. I mean for the cost, I could buy two sets of them if I get failures. It solved my issue with stuttering at low RPM. I also found two of the connector plugs were dirty, so I cleaned them up and put new dielectric grease on them. They have been on the truck for 9 months. I have towed my 6000 lb camper many times over the last 9 months. No issues with them.

For my issue, I noticed it on the highway at 55-60. If I hit the gas to maintain speed on a hill I would get a slight jerking and hesitation. I'd hit the gas harder to overcome it. I didn't have the issue if I was doing 65 or higher. I also noticed it if I decelerated and then tried to accelerate;(change in light to green.) I didn't have a code any my cheap scanner didn't detect issues.

There are many out there on Amazon, but these had good reviews and were cheap.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EOXZLG2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OP
OP
copper

copper

Reaction score
We finally got some time to change the transmission fluid and filter. JExpedition07 and bobmbx were right from the very start. No shuttering whatsoever. Its completely fixed without any trace at all. Thanks guys, and everyone else, for your wisdom, insight, and patience!

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We finally got some time to change the transmission fluid and filter. JExpedition07 and bobmbx were right from the very start. No shuttering whatsoever. Its completely fixed without any trace at all. Thanks guys, and everyone else, for your wisdom, insight, and patience!
Glad to help.

x5TA1NERx

Reaction score
So mine is doing it too. Same symptoms. 2008 with 163,000miles. Not knowing if it's ever had a filter and fluid change before, is there too many miles to do one now?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk