2010 Front AC Not Cold, Rear Cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MizzouAuburn

Reaction score
2010 Gen 3 XLT EL

The front is blowing cool (in the garage) and warm (when it sits outside). Took to a mechanic and he changed the compressor, filter and charged AC to proper fill. AC in front was warm and the rear is cold and normal. Just changed the blend actuator behind the radio. It is still blowing the mixed air.

I have exhausted almost everything I can do myself and really don't want to drop another $1K at the dealer. I am stumped. Could it really be the expansion valve clogged? The mechanic feels bad and wants to help me out. I could get it and have him replace the valve and evac/charge.

We blew the lines out and really saw nothing. No leaks are evident.

I need some guidance on the ways of the Ford. Thanks in advance.

sandbuster

Reaction score
Well my first guess would be a problem with the blend air door - but you've already addressed that. My second guess would be a stuck expansion valve but seems like you're mechanic could determine that by irregular pressure readings?

OP
OP
M

MizzouAuburn

Reaction score
Thanks brother. Will check that next. My wife is broiling. Let you know progress. It seems like I am missing one thing and it will all come into place.

OP
OP
M

MizzouAuburn

Reaction score
Blocked expansion valve. sanbuster, you were right. Back to being cold....

2010ELEXPE

Reaction score
How did you figure out it was a blocked expansion valve. I am having similar issues with hot air blowing all of a sudden in a 2010 EL.

OP
OP
M

MizzouAuburn

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply, 2010ELEXPE.

Figured since everything was replaced in the front and the rear was normal, it could only be something that comes from the compressor and front parts that split off. Blend doors were either replaced or functioning. Had to be the "split" from the compressor. Expansion valve.

The first mechanic (a friend at a shop with Euro cars) did not see the different pressures on the load side of the valve (I'm an electrician).

Sent to Chevrolet dealer (another friend's place). They noticed "high side pressure low, indicating restriction. Traced to failed primary thermal expansion valve" They evacuated and installed new seals, recharged, and now both are at 50 degrees.

I can't evacuate or charge at home so it had to go to the dealer. About $900.

If you know everything can be ruled out, that only leaves a couple of things; Compressor, Blend door behind radio, or the line restriction. Looks like the rear is okay for you, so changing the blend door is easy (use a wrench on the back screw and move it slowly) or an expansion valve buried in the lines.

Good luck