2010 Sunroof not sealing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ColoExpdn

Reaction score
2010 Limited. Factory sunroof just stopped sealing one day. Sunroof glass moved forward to close, raised up the rear of the glass to seal and then the rear portion of the glass on the passenger side sagged down. Tilt function no longer works either. Can hear the wind whistling through the seal; know that it would leak if it was rained or snowed upon. Independent shop couldn't fix it; even tried re-calibrating it. Had to go to the local Ford dealer - $2250 to replace the entire sunroof assembly (Need to drop the entire interior headliner. Have a factory installed DVD player mounted on the ceiling too). Not a job that I wanted to tackle and I don't have any other options. Just a warning to others - you may want to forego the sunroof option; really expensive to repair.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you try the re-calibration procedure yourself or are you trusting the independent shop did it/did it correctly? I have a Fusion that seemed confused on where to finally park the glass and was able to correct it by following the relearn procedure for the logic controller. I believe the Fusion relearn is similar to the Expedition, but not the same, so if any person tried but tried incorrectly, then their efforts were for not.

Do you have a multi-meter, and if so, what voltage readings are you seeing at the A) switch and B) motor when trying to use the tilt feature? With a little nudge, does the tilt feature work?

Have you tried to clean as much of the seal as you can? I've found a little Armor All or tire shine on a rag works well. Clean the interior rim of the channel as well, where the glass seal meets the body. Is there any debris (leaf stems, etc) in the track that you can see? Have you applied any kind lube to the track? Does the pop-up wind deflector show any evidence of binding when it retracts?

I don't see how replacing unbroken glass, a working motor, and a perfectly good track for $2250 is any kind of solution. I also don't agree that foregoing a nice to have option based on one experience is warning worthy.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you try the re-calibration procedure yourself or are you trusting the independent shop did it/did it correctly? I have a Fusion that seemed confused on where to finally park the glass and was able to correct it by following the relearn procedure for the logic controller. I believe the Fusion relearn is similar to the Expedition, but not the same, so if any person tried but tried incorrectly, then their efforts were for not.

Do you have a multi-meter, and if so, what voltage readings are you seeing at the A) switch and B) motor when trying to use the tilt feature? With a little nudge, does the tilt feature work?

Have you tried to clean as much of the seal as you can? I've found a little Armor All or tire shine on a rag works well. Clean the interior rim of the channel as well, where the glass seal meets the body. Is there any debris (leaf stems, etc) in the track that you can see? Have you applied any kind lube to the track? Have you tried pouring a few quarts of hot soapy water into the front and side troughs? Does the pop-up wind deflector show any evidence of binding when it retracts?

I don't see how replacing unbroken glass, a working motor, and a perfectly good track for $2250 is any kind of solution. I also don't agree that foregoing a nice to have option based on one experience is warning worthy.

sls1980

Reaction score
Did you find a solution? We have an 07' that the sunroof has stopped working completely. I ordered a kit that is supposed to fix it, but there are no guarantees in life. your situation is similar, any help is welcome.

OP
OP
C

ColoExpdn

Reaction score
sls1980: I ended up having the Ford dealer look at it. Their solution was to replace the entire unit. They said that the motor was bad, but I think that the easiest solution for them is to replace the entire unit instead of just parts of it. The total cost was about $2200, but the sunroof now works perfectly and I got a multi-year warranty. Sorry that I do not have more technical info or a solution for you.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Use it all you want. Like most sunroofs they work better if they get regular exercise. Just keep them lubricated and free of debris.

wingrider

Reaction score
[EDIT] I did find a couple videos online, but now the window makes a ratchet sound at both ends where before it didn't, so the range is worse. I still need calibration help. [/EDIT]

Can someone please point me at the calibration process? I have a 2012 that sounds like a similar problem as the OP. The window closes all the way forward then won't nudge up in the back and stay. It just pushes up for a second, then drops back down.

Also when sliding the window back, it stops about 2 inches short but pressing the button again causes it to finish moving back all the way.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PaulMedik