Parasitic Draw After Rain or Carwash 2010 EL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Martno

Reaction score
2010 EL Limited
Completely stumped on a LONG “ongoing” parasitic draw. Summary below of what has been checked and replaced. I believe I have narrowed it down to this: *>> 2 to 3 days following rain or a car wash, the draw happens. It’s pretty harsh. Battery can be sucked down to below 5 or 6volts or further if allowed and not charged. Once the draw begins, it keeps going.

1. Have replaced multiple batteries.
2. New alternator 3 years ago.
3. New battery connections.
4. Mechanic replaced Smart Junction box: this fixed some Sync issues, but the draw still remains. Mechanic kept truck 3 months to work on this… and I still have it.
5. Moon roof drains have been checked. Are not backing up — they seem to be drawing appropriately out bottom of truck.
6. Rear windshield wiper fuse pulled
7. Trailer towing system fuses pulled.
8. Power running board relays pulled.
9. Rear brake light sealed from water
10. Satellite antenna sealed from water.
11. Never find water in cabin after rain.
12. Cowel removed and all leaves debris cleared.
13. When weather is hot, dry, and no moisture I cannot document this happens.
14. Began several years ago, and had steadily become more aggressive.
15. No interior ceiling panels have any indications of water leaking —
16. AC drain can leak water to floor, but can’t find where it ever could reach any wiring.
17. Current weather is cool, so AC is not being used.

Questions:
1. Could rain and moisture inside the door panels cause a draw.
2. Does power remain hot inside door panels when key and engine is off?
3. Alarm will not set— always a double honk. Could a bad door latch keep something alive after it rains?
4. ** What else could possibly get wet from rain that could set this off.
5. Could main battery wiring harness possibly have compromised connections that could cause this— and I’m not sure where all the harness goes to.
6. Overhead passenger DVD player… is there power there when engine off?

I’m desperately seeking any suggestions, crazy ideas, and I’m leaning towards interior of door panels but need some other ideas before breaking them open.

Thanks for any all suggestions

twodollars

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if you have an inductive amp meter, I'd start pulling a fuse at a time and see if you can find the system the draw is on. Would help narrow your focus electrically. These trucks will always have a small draw, but if your quickly killing the battery id guess your looking for higher than a few amp draw. Also, if there's any after market add ons I'd start disconnecting those. On our 2013 the power ports are always hot, so anything plugged in stays hot.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2010 EL Limited
Completely stumped on a LONG “ongoing” parasitic draw. Summary below of what has been checked and replaced. I believe I have narrowed it down to this: *>> 2 to 3 days following rain or a car wash, the draw happens. It’s pretty harsh. Battery can be sucked down to below 5 or 6volts or further if allowed and not charged. Once the draw begins, it keeps going.

1. Have replaced multiple batteries.
2. New alternator 3 years ago.
3. New battery connections.
4. Mechanic replaced Smart Junction box: this fixed some Sync issues, but the draw still remains. Mechanic kept truck 3 months to work on this… and I still have it.
5. Moon roof drains have been checked. Are not backing up — they seem to be drawing appropriately out bottom of truck.
6. Rear windshield wiper fuse pulled
7. Trailer towing system fuses pulled.
8. Power running board relays pulled.
9. Rear brake light sealed from water
10. Satellite antenna sealed from water.
11. Never find water in cabin after rain.
12. Cowel removed and all leaves debris cleared.
13. When weather is hot, dry, and no moisture I cannot document this happens.
14. Began several years ago, and had steadily become more aggressive.
15. No interior ceiling panels have any indications of water leaking —
16. AC drain can leak water to floor, but can’t find where it ever could reach any wiring.
17. Current weather is cool, so AC is not being used.

Questions:
1. Could rain and moisture inside the door panels cause a draw.
2. Does power remain hot inside door panels when key and engine is off?
3. Alarm will not set— always a double honk. Could a bad door latch keep something alive after it rains?
4. ** What else could possibly get wet from rain that could set this off.
5. Could main battery wiring harness possibly have compromised connections that could cause this— and I’m not sure where all the harness goes to.
6. Overhead passenger DVD player… is there power there when engine off?

I’m desperately seeking any suggestions, crazy ideas, and I’m leaning towards interior of door panels but need some other ideas before breaking them open.

Thanks for any all suggestions

1. Yes. Check the bottom of the doors to see if the small, rectangle-shaped door drain plugs are present. If so, remove them (they pop out) and use the non-clasp end of a sturdy zip tie to clear the openings.
2. Yes - think power door lock switches & wiring.
3. Yes - the door switches tell the computer the doors are locked and closed. If one or more are defective - it causes the system to think the door is not closed or locked.
4. Not sure - I think the doors are the culprit.
5. Not sure - you will have to examine the battery cables.
6. Insert a DVD in the player, then with the engine off, see if it will eject while the doors are closed. If so - you know the power is hot when the engine is off. When you push the eject button - also see if it illuminates.

Last edited:

tommyddsr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had the same exact problem. Mine turned out to be the keypad on the driver's door. Water would seep past the membrane and short out the pad. Would drain overnight. New keypad solved the problem. $5 from my local pick and pull.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
While your checking all of the above suggestions, might want to check the alarm. Oh, you say it takes 3 days but that's when you get the effect from the draw.

HazBeen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Attached below is Ford Parasitic Battery Drain Job Aid...

Good luck!

Attachments

• Parasitic Battery Drain Job Aid.pdf
    432.9 KB · Views: 10

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire