2012 5.4 triton (Gator), light misfire (?) vibration at idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No check engine light
***** coolant and probably wrong oil (just bought it)
131k mi (allegedly) --- bought it from some pretty shady Syrian limo company, so who knows
Signs of recent servicing under hood -- all coolant hooses newish and still have clean Motorcraft stickers on em, but the coolant itself is pale blue crap with some hard water salts-looking sediment in it

Occasional slight hesitation pressing accelerator, but otherwise runs fine. MPGs seem correct, fluctuate 14-17 mpg (4x4, EL length)

Should I just change oil and backflush the coolant system, then put in proper gold coolant to start? Or redo the spark plugs immediately as well? Thermostat right away too, or never mind that?

OP
OP
A

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What else? Injector cleaner? Double oil change/oil flush?

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The oil and coolant has nothing to do with it running rough. Fix the rough idle first. Find someone with a computer who can diagnose what cylinder is missing, then check the coil, plug and injector in that order. Or just pull a spark plug and see how it looks. They may have never been changed.

If you opt to change the plugs, go with new Motorcraft boots also.

You may also want to check the block for a head gasket leak.

A used Syrian Uber car? Good grief.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not Uber, these guys were too dumb to make that work for em ("my guy wait hour, he no get call, vi decide Uber suck")

Meh who cares, it's a familiar engine that I know how to work on. As well as any number of mechanics, should I ever find something I can't figure out

Ford engine, ford pricing

D Hook

Reaction score
If it's a real rough idle, you mayh want to check the the VCT (Variable Cam Timing) solenoids. Easy to change both. Access is through openings on the valve covers towards the front of engine. Do a search for it on this website and you'll find videos showing how-to. Causes misfiring at idle. Wife's expy has the same issue right now. Controls oil flow to cam phasers and when the VCTs start to fail, it usually results in rough idle at stop lights. Starts to sound like a desiel.

Plati

Reaction score
Took me months to figure out ... Navigator.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Whatdya think Ford built Lincoln's down in the Louisiana bayou! Actually I think Ford does build stuff down there!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Now you know why working on a Navigator is such a Croc! Ha Ha!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk