2012 Expy rough idle and some rattling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rowekmr

Reaction score
To the OP does the rattling go away with rpms?

I need some help. I have a 2012 I bought new and now has 155k. I've changed the oil religiously every 3-5k.

A couple weeks ago I disconnected the battery to install felt rings to limit battery deposits. At that time I noticed some smoke and a burning smell. The car wouldn't start. After a few minutes it started and everything went back to normal.

Shortly after my wife started to complain of a rattling noise. I test drove it but didn't notice anything. She said it sounds like a freight train.

Yesterday I noticed a rough idle and some rattling. The rattling is not consistant. At speed nothing is detectable. There are no codes or engine lights showing.

I have spent a lot of time on YouTube and the forums and it seems to be one of 3 things (VCT solenoids, Complete timing job, or something to do with the computer reseting after the battery disconnect).

I plan on disconnecting the electrical connection to the solenoids and seeing if it goes away. If it does does that mean its the solenoid?

Also...if it is the phasers or tensioners...shouldnt I have heard some rattling before?

BoutTime

Reaction score
So what did you find? I can’t seem to locate the video I saw where a guy disconnected them and other than a dash light it ran fine (to get him home) until he could replace them. I’ve started seeing the occasional rough idle as described so I’ll be ordering the part and replacing them sooner than later I’m sure.