1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2012 Won't shift out of park sometimes

Discussion in 'Transmission & Drive train' started by the hogg, Feb 22, 2021 at 8:15 PM.

1. the hogg

the hogg Member

A few times in the last week my 2012 Limited with console shifter would not shift out of park. I tried restarting it, pumped the brake pedal a few times and nothing. Kept messing with it and finally came out of park.
    Does anyone know what causes this and what the remedy is.
    Thanks, JOHN

2. Trainmaster

Trainmaster Old School Member

There's a solenoid that locks the shift lever in Park if the brake is not depressed. The brake pedal has a switch that activates the solenoid. So the problem is in either of those components or the shifter or their wiring.

You probably know there's a plug on the face of the shifter than can be removed to permit a screwdriver to be used to over ride this interlock. That's detailed in the owners' manual.

I'd probably start by testing the connector on the switch, then the switch with a meter or test light and work my way to disassembling the shifter and testing the solenoid with voltage...

Don Hall likes this.
  3. the hogg

the hogg Member

Thanks Trainmaster...I will give them a try.

4. Trainmaster

Trainmaster Old School Member

Hogg, the solenoid is part of the shifter assembly, so you'll have to take the console apart to get to it. Could be that mechanism is goobered up or worn and sticking if you find the switch to be working. Of course you can just disable the thing by gutting the mechanism if you don't care about the "added safety" it offers.

5. CHRIS HODGE

CHRIS HODGE Full Access Members

My son had this problem and we installed a new shifter, not a bad job.

Trainmaster likes this.
  6. the hogg

the hogg Member

Thanks for all your input guys. Trainmaster was right. I checked the brake lights and they would only come on once in awhile and it would shift when they did come on. I am replacing that brake light switch today or tomorrow. Glad this was it...the cheapest way out. Thank God because usually anything on this Expedition costs a small fortune.
    I'll let you know if this corrects the problem.
    Once again thanks for all of your replies.
    The Hogg