2013 Expedition EL Slow crank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David Pratt

Reaction score
Hey All. My wife's 2013 Exp EL suddenly developed an issue this morning. She went out to take the kids to school this morning it was fine. She came back shut it off for about 10 minutes and went ou tto leave again and it was cranking really slow but eventually started. I checked the battery and it is reading about 13.5 V at rest. She also mentioned when it did it she got a couple warnings in the message center (key not programmed and something else I can't remember that could be due to low voltage). Is the starter going out?

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Battery may be reading okay but not have enough oomph to turn the beast over. I'd start with a new battery....

Skoobyj

Reaction score
Have the battery load tested. I had the same issue. Battery was good. Ended up being the ground strap that goes from the solenoid into the starter housing. It was brittle and broken. It was actually sparking when cranked. Replaced the starter with a $60 amazon starter and good to go.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ended up being the ground strap that goes from the solenoid into the starter housing.
This is why I always suggest People with battery problems should do a VOLTAGE DROP TEST. Because it will check your cables out and make sure your vehicle is getting the power from your battery. And it will take you right to the problem. (all you need is a digital voltage meter which you should have in your tool box anyway.)