Using coils from a 2005 expedition in a 2013 expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnathan M

Reaction score
I have a 2013 expedition king ranch EL. Just this morning I went to my local lumberyard. The expedition was running great when I left home like it always does. But when I started the engine upon leaving the lumberyard, the check engine light came on and it was running rough. I was pretty certain it was a bad coil, and when I got back home I tested it with my code reader and saw that it was missing on cylinder one. I used to have a 2005 expedition and had replaced a complete set of coils on it so I had the spares that were still good. I compared them to the coil I pulled from my 2013 expedition and they looked identical other than the boot wasn't quite as long on the old one. But the spring was the same length and the connector was the same. And the ribs that sealed it into the valve cover were at the same location. I installed it and everything is working great. My question is does anybody know of any issues that could be caused by doing that. I don't know if maybe the voltage is different or if there are any other issues. It seems to be running great but I figured I'd just see if anyone has any comments on this situation. Thanks!

flyguy

Reaction score
The recommended spark plug gap is slightly larger for the 2005 vs the 2013 (.044 vs .041 inch), so the voltage might be slightly higher, but I don't think it will make any difference.