2013 interior tailgate trim

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M_M_

Reaction score
2013 interior tailgate trim removal

Hello,

I'm new to this forum - I'm glad it is here!

I'm planing to install a rear view camera (shaft type) to underside of the chrome piece above the license plate, so I have to get inside the tailgate. Can anyone give me any pointers on how to remove the interior trim?

Also, I'm looking for any tips on how to best run the video harness to the head unit and the easiest way to tap into power by the taillight.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Mariusz

Last edited:

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to this forum - I'm glad it is here!

I'm planing to install a rear view camera (shaft type) to underside of the chrome piece above the license plate, so I have to get inside the tailgate. Can anyone give me any pointers on how to remove the interior trim?

Also, I'm looking for any tips on how to best run the video harness to the head unit and the easiest way to tap into power by the taillight.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Mariusz

u will have to run wires up to top of tailgate where the rest of the wires go through to the body of the truck...cant miss it...then from there run up to head unit...pick a side...power for turn on can be tapped from wires on reverse bulb...

you can also get with ur dealership for the part number to the ford OEM tailgate cover with built in camera...then search tascafordparts.com...ebay...or other site on internet for cheaper pricing

OP
OP
M

M_M_

Reaction score
Thanks 6K-Watts!
I actually found the part# for the tailgate cover with built in camera - it is not cheap, but the biggest problem I had with this setup was how to figure wire configuration on it (which wires are for power and which for video). I have not taken the tailgate apart yet, but I imagine I could not use the factory connector on the camera as most likely there is no video harness in my vehicle to plug it into, unless you or someone else knows that whatever harness is in there already can accommodate the camera as well, if not, the only option might be to cut the factory connector and run my own harness, but I would have to know wire configuration on the camera, which I have not been able to find, so I have given up on this idea and set my eyes on an Audiovox ACA500 which resembles factory cameras - it is shaft mounted, so there are no exposed wires.

Now as to running the video harness - is it easier to run it along the bottom or top of the vehicle? To run it along the bottom, I think I would have to remove thresholds at the tailgate and both doors on one side ( do they just pop up? ) and tuck it underneath the body panels, right? What do you do to run it along the top and is it easier?

How do you take the interior panel of the tailgate - is it held just by the screw under the pull handle or are there more screws? After that is it all clips and if so are they all parallel to each other and perpendicular to the tailgate or are there any odd ones at different angles?

Thanks again!

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1 or 2 ppl have done this mod with the built-in camera that i referred to u...i would tend to think it would be easier to run on top but it really comes to preference at that point cuz at some point u will need to run it down at the front or rear...the door sills pop right up but your challenge may be the rear side panel in the cargo area...the tailgate panel pops off as well after u take off the pull handle...its been a while since i pulled it off but u should be able to just pull straight up for removal

OP
OP
M

M_M_

Reaction score
I would love to use the factory camera - people on this forum have done it? I have searched the previous posts and have not been able to find anything. Do you by any chance remember what the thread was about or roughly how long ago it was?

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well over a year...rear backup camera...OEM rear camera...idk...couldn't tell u who either...focus search in electronic section

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69