2013 key stuck in ignition, microswitch in shifter failed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tobtech

Reaction score
I am really hoping that someone has had the same problem and can answer my question. 5 days after purchasing my 2013 Expedition, the key would not come out of the ignition. Being an auto electrician, I know that there was a switch in the shifter that told the ignition switch when the truck is in park so the key can turn to the lock position. I pulled out the shifter and was able to push the switch back into position. My concern is that part of the plastic assembly is still broken and it will happen again so I want to buy a new shifter. There is a Youtuber with a 2013 that had the exact same problem at 100,000 miles (mine has 95k) so I would prefer to just buy a new shifter so I don't have to worry about it for another 100K or more.

Now to my problem, all the local Ford dealers are backordered on the part. The parts person at the dealer cannot tell me if the shifter assembly comes with the switches and wiring in it or not. I have to order one from out of state and If there are additional parts I need I want to get them. No one at the Ford dealers here are able to help me. All the computer shows is a line drawing of the part and is very unspecific as far as what it comes with. It shows the base, indicator plate, and the shift rod. The shift cable and knob are separate parts, No mention of the wiring or switches.

Has anyone here had to replace their shifter that can tell me if the "shifter assembly" comes complete with the microswitches and short harness so that you can just unbolt the old shifter and plug in the new one and go.

Thank you

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would just keep that one and look in Ebay or junk yard for parts. I bought 2 shifter solenoids on ebay because mine wouldn't come out of park.