Dial Shifter - Let Me Vent!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CDNRabbit

Reaction score
I'm still an old guy in the making so I'm not going to hate on a form factor so long as I get positive engagement. Seeing as a dial can't do that, GM/Lincoln flubbed buttons, the Germans create useless fake console shifters, I guess it's column shifters for me.

Stretch70

Reaction score
Much different than a stick, that’s for sure. I doubt these are gong back though - looks like a safety issue. Note how the knob will jump itself into Park under certain conditions

GixxerJasen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Much different than a stick, that’s for sure. I doubt these are gong back though - looks like a safety issue. Note how the knob will jump itself into Park under certain conditions
Found that the console shifter on the F150 will do the same. I'm curious if the console shifter is really just connecting contacts in there instead of doing any actual shifting, in which case it's no different than buttons or a dial, just makes people feel better because it looks like what they are used to.

NorthWestYuppie

Reaction score
I am an "Old Guy" millions of miles under my belt, driving a tow truck for a living at age sixteen, street racing in the early 70's and one of my favorite sayings; "back when it was legal to drink and drive" (don't get upset it is just a joke, but true)
Whoever prompted Ford engineering to adopt the dial shifter should be fired! I is inherently wrong in every aspect of humanity.
As the proud owner of a 2024 Expedition Max I have to admit it didn't bother me initially, but it didn't take long for this unnatural cumbersome basic function of driving to start eating away at my soul.
The fact some person somewhere in the great country thought this shifter was a good ideal baffles my mind. I'm assuming it was copied from some modern European design or a video game.
I truly understand it is my unwillingness to change that has brought this rant to print, maybe there is some weekly evening meeting I can attend to help me with this problem although I'm pretty sure it will not help.
I do love the truck, but I will end with; If at any point Ford or the aftermarket ever develops a plug-and-play retrofit normal (Human style) shifter the way it was intended to be (Park-Forward, Drive-Back and Neutral somewhere in the middle) I will buy it at any cost!
Just so it is clear, this is not the way I normally talk. It was incredibly hard for me to write this post and not have it removed due to my normal use profanity.
Thanks for the venting session, I'm curious if there are others who feel the same way, please chime in.
BOOHOO

llhoneymoons

Reaction score
Question. How quickly can you shift into neutral should you need to, say to move it around a shop, get it onto a tow truck, or move it from the road if it breaks down?

VCFP153

Reaction score
I am an "Old Guy" millions of miles under my belt, driving a tow truck for a living at age sixteen, street racing in the early 70's and one of my favorite sayings; "back when it was legal to drink and drive" (don't get upset it is just a joke, but true)
Whoever prompted Ford engineering to adopt the dial shifter should be fired! I is inherently wrong in every aspect of humanity.
As the proud owner of a 2024 Expedition Max I have to admit it didn't bother me initially, but it didn't take long for this unnatural cumbersome basic function of driving to start eating away at my soul.
The fact some person somewhere in the great country thought this shifter was a good ideal baffles my mind. I'm assuming it was copied from some modern European design or a video game.
I truly understand it is my unwillingness to change that has brought this rant to print, maybe there is some weekly evening meeting I can attend to help me with this problem although I'm pretty sure it will not help.
I do love the truck, but I will end with; If at any point Ford or the aftermarket ever develops a plug-and-play retrofit normal (Human style) shifter the way it was intended to be (Park-Forward, Drive-Back and Neutral somewhere in the middle) I will buy it at any cost!
Just so it is clear, this is not the way I normally talk. It was incredibly hard for me to write this post and not have it removed due to my normal use profanity.
Thanks for the venting session, I'm curious if there are others who feel the same way, please chime in.

Amen! The absolute best thing about my SSV is the column shifter!

Attachments

• 20240221_111035.jpg
    20240221_111035.jpg
    301.8 KB · Views: 3

GixxerJasen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Question. How quickly can you shift into neutral should you need to, say to move it around a shop, get it onto a tow truck, or move it from the road if it breaks down?
I just went and perused the owners manual and this is definitely the only valid complaint in this entire thread, the rest is just whining. :D

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The rotary shifter took me a while to adapt to, but the piano keys in the wife's Lincoln are a whole other level of confusion if, like me, you don't drive it regularly.

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just went and perused the owners manual and this is definitely the only valid complaint in this entire thread, the rest is just whining. :D
Truth. And it's easy to shift into neutral. Turn dial to N and follow the direction on the screen and push the M button. Do it every time I go to the car wash.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire