Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TDGFordGuy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
While turning left through a very rough California intersection, the traction control light came on and blinking and truck immediately began slowing down and total loss of power until I fully let up on the gas pedal. Light goes off, all back to normal. Make another left turn onto the freeway on-ramp and same thing happens but remains all the way up the ramp. Let off the gas again, light goes out, get on the gas, speed up to about 60mph, light blinking again while merging into freeway traffic. Lift off gas again, light goes out, never comes on again 20 miles home.

Truck has about 80k miles on it.

I have learned it could be: the wheel speed sensor (which one though?), Steering wheel position sensor, bad ring on the axle. No Check Engine light yet. Vehicle did have an accident on the pass-front side (mainly body damage) but was repaired by insurance co.

Any ideas where to start?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would go to autozone and have them pull code. There will be a stored AdvanceTrac code likely.

Plati

Reaction score
Is there a law or did they get sued and decide not to do it to avoid lawsuits?

On my 2014 there is a button on the dash to turn TCS off.
Wont fix the problem but might temporarily avoid it if in the "oh $hit" situation.
… while working on the fix

OP
OP
TDGFordGuy

TDGFordGuy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, has the TCS button. But have to slow down to certain speed to activate cutout. I will try it next time it acts up... intermitint

I called local Autozone and they can run codes now. yes, it was a law passed about 10 yrs ago in CA. I believe the IP laws that allowed 3rd parties to repair John Deer & Cat tractors overrulled the CA law a couple yrs ago. I'm sure there's more acurate info online.

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree with the suggestion that pulling codes is the best solution here, before you start throwing parts at it. Investing in a good code reader would also be a wise idea (or a PC-based solution, like a Forscan setup).

OP
OP
TDGFordGuy

TDGFordGuy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got FORscan (basic version) and no codes for anything traction/power related. only code was the vertical mirror position sensor (driver seat module).

OP
OP
TDGFordGuy

TDGFordGuy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Forscan actually did help diagnos my 2013 Taurus C.E.L. So getting forscan was helpful.

BTW, Autozone scanner showed nothing. It's basically just a CEL/smog pass scanner.

Sure would be nice to get some input, but seems like this forum is dying as the instegators are harrassing people that have better things to do in life.