2015 Coolant Flush

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stilbo

Reaction score
Wow
Just traded in my 207,414 mile 2003 EB Expy for a nicely optioned 2015 XLT Expy . Ingot Silver with a black leather gut.
Wow
It’s soooo much nicer!
Quieter and the extra HP and torque is very obvious..
But.....
I’ve been trying to search specifically for coolant flushing for 2015-2017 Expeditions with nooooo good results.
Only managed to find where the radiator drain is.
I’ve ordered a Haynes manual (Still looking for a used factory manual) and a CD-ROM factory service manual but I want to get an idea of what conniptions I’ll have to go through to flush the cooling system..
It was really easy on the 2003 to flush the entire system front to back but if it’s too crazy I might just let the dealership do it...
So...
If anyone has The Big Technical Explanation or a link to a good YouTube without Goober and his dog I’ll really appreciate it..
Now I’m going to see if the oil filter is in a better location than it was on the 2003 5.4. I’ve hated that BAD location during every oil change for the last ten years...

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Now I’m going to see if the oil filter is in a better location than it was on the 2003 5.4. I’ve hated that BAD location during every oil change for the last ten years...
Pretty sure you’re not gonna like the location of the oil filter on the Ecoboost. There’s a factory drip catch pan that funnels the oil to one location. A little tip that I do is roll up a piece of paper shop towel and make a plug for the hole when its finished draining. Otherwise it will keep dripping for hours.

OP
OP
S

stilbo

Reaction score
Thanks Boosted..
It’s so weird that vehicle technology has gotten so advanced in the last 100 years but automotive engineers can’t design or package a simple drain or filter location...
I’ve managed to make My ‘60 and ‘71 Harleys drip and leak free.. and the drain plugs are as easy to get to as a kitchen oven handle and just require a quick wipe when reseated.
I checked out that little hole next to the big hole...
That’s Stone Age engineering.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow
Just traded in my 207,414 mile 2003 EB Expy for a nicely optioned 2015 XLT Expy . Ingot Silver with a black leather gut.
Wow
It’s soooo much nicer!
Quieter and the extra HP and torque is very obvious..
But.....
I’ve been trying to search specifically for coolant flushing for 2015-2017 Expeditions with nooooo good results.
Only managed to find where the radiator drain is.
I’ve ordered a Haynes manual (Still looking for a used factory manual) and a CD-ROM factory service manual but I want to get an idea of what conniptions I’ll have to go through to flush the cooling system..
It was really easy on the 2003 to flush the entire system front to back but if it’s too crazy I might just let the dealership do it...
So...
If anyone has The Big Technical Explanation or a link to a good YouTube without Goober and his dog I’ll really appreciate it..
Nothing you can't do.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
The Ford dealer admitted to me they just drain and fill. They remove the lower hose. A couple of quarts are trapped in the block and lines to rear HVAC. If it's a hot day and engine hot, you may get lucky and the thermostat will be open. That will get most of the coolant to drain. You could remove the thermostat housing, to speed things up. Fill with distilled water and re-drain. That's is about as clean as it will get.