Bad coolant flush/replace by dealership?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmichaud24

Reaction score
I had the dealership do a coolant flush and replace. About a week or two later I noticed the engine overheating and the fan blowing (sucks air in to cool engine) just driving around town (it’s never done this… I’ve only ever noticed the temp tick up slightly when driving through the smoky mountains. I’ve never once had overheating issues or coolant leaks until after they did the flush. When I looked in the reservoir it was completely empty. So I looked at the service invoice and they only put 2 gallons of coolant in - is that normal?

I also noticed a hose going into the engine that was leaking fluid. I’ve filled the coolant a few times until I could get it into the dealership because the reservoir keeps emptying. What did the dealer do wrong here? It’s never had an issue like this until they touched it.

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The coolant system on this vehicle is large and complex due to the rear HVAC system. It's likely they didn't get all of the air bubbles out of the system when refilling it, which means there is probably an air lock preventing coolant from flowing and why it's overheating and blowing fans. I would suggest immediately returning it to the dealer and having them fix it.

OP
OP
B

bmichaud24

Reaction score
The coolant system on this vehicle is large and complex due to the rear HVAC system. It's likely they didn't get all of the air bubbles out of the system when refilling it, which means there is probably an air lock preventing coolant from flowing and why it's overheating and blowing fans. I would suggest immediately returning it to the dealer and having them fix it.
I’ve had two other guys say this same thing. I just left the dealership - they told me the invoice has only two gallons on it because they charge two gallons on all coolant flushes to keep the price the same for everyone, and assured me that they put in the required 4.25 gallons… I don’t believe this. They aren’t taking responsibility for it and said they’re going to still charge me to fix the hoses that are leaking (they said there’s a pinhole hole in the hose that’s leaking). I left because I want to talk to the service manager before they do anything. It’s obvious that they messed up, which I understand can happen, but I’m frustrated because they aren’t fixing what is clearly their fault to begin with. It’s disappointing - they would have a customer for life if they would be honest and provide good customer service.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wouldn't pay a dime for repairs, involve the dealer GM, and possibly even Ford Customer care. I had a similar situation in a previous vehicle where after a radiator was replaced, my air suspension threw codes and the vehicle dropped to its lowest setting, literally less than 3 miles from the dealer. Turns out that what happened was likely someone turnin a wrench hit one of the air lines and broke the fitting. I didn't have a single issue with the suspension for 6 yrs before that, they tried to claim it was a coincidence, no way!

Also, assuming this is the dealer you would normally use, make sure you hammer that home, that the vehicle has no history of cooling issues and it's not a coincidence that it's just now exhibiting these issues.

OP
OP
B

bmichaud24

Reaction score
I wouldn't pay a dime for repairs, involve the dealer GM, and possibly even Ford Customer care. I had a similar situation in a previous vehicle where after a radiator was replaced, my air suspension threw codes and the vehicle dropped to its lowest setting, literally less than 3 miles from the dealer. Turns out that what happened was likely someone turnin a wrench hit one of the air lines and broke the fitting. I didn't have a single issue with the suspension for 6 yrs before that, they tried to claim it was a coincidence, no way!

Also, assuming this is the dealer you would normally use, make sure you hammer that home, that the vehicle has no history of cooling issues and it's not a coincidence that it's just now exhibiting these issues.
Thanks for that… no way it’s a coincidence, and they know that of course. It’s laughable. I’ve called the manager and will report back!

NickTheATC

Reaction score
I have a similar story with a Toyota mini-van we used to have. I brought it in for an oil change/inspection. They said they recommended that I swap out the coolant and quoted me a fair price to do it. I left about 2 hours later and the heat didn't work at all (Mid January in New Hampshire). I drove it back and they accused me of lying about the heat not working and trapping them by having them do the coolant. I reminded them that they suggested the coolant change, not me and it was the middle of winter. I suggested they bleed the system properly to remove the air. They again accused me of lying. I told the service writer that I would go find the GM and he acquiesced to having the service guy look at it. Sure enough, air in the system and all was fine when they bled it properly. Almost no apology. Last time I would ever go to that dealership.

Password

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In the same boat after getting a heater hose replaced a few weeks ago. I'm going to change the status first and see if it helps.

Should the air pocket go away after a while on its own?

GaryH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just left the dealership - they told me the invoice has only two gallons on it because they charge two gallons on all coolant flushes to keep the price the same for everyone, and assured me that they put in the required 4.25 gallons… I don’t believe this.
Just spit balling here, but it is possible they only used 2 gallons of the concentrated coolant and filled the rest with water. That would give you about a 50/50 mixture.

3rd Expyowner123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just bought a gallon of coolant from my local Ford dealer, all they had was concentrated which required mixing 50/50 with distilled water.
Great suggestion Gary H