2015 Ecoboost over heating solved

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mactlc

Reaction score
Over the last two years my 2015 EL XLT 4WD has been randomly over heating mostly when towing up a steep mountain. I changed the thermostat and no change so I decided to change the water pump and discovered it had lost all but one of its impeller blades, I replaced it with an metal water pump from auto zone. I had to flush out the system to get the pieces. I like OE parts but in this case I do not trust motorcraft. Pretty amazing that it only over heated when under a very heavy load.20210805_135219.jpg20210805_154029.jpg

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow. I recently had the water pump replaced at the dealer on my 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 at 80,*** miles as it was leaking (extended warranty). I wish I would have thought to ask to see the pumps that was removed.

The service advisor did say that there was an updated part for the vehicle, which was a water pump kit from Ford / Motorcraft.

OP
OP
M

mactlc

Reaction score
My issue started around 80K miles, but since there were no leaks I did not think it was the water pump so I did the usual like change the thermostat. If I lived someplace hot like my home town near Phoenix, AZ I think I would have found it faster.

adamsdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Our 2016 Expy has started kicking on the noisy fan when it is 61 degrees outside. I'm just cruising around town, not towing anything, driving calmly. I was thinking of swapping the thermostat but with 80K miles and this chain of messages - I'm thinking the water pump may need to be replaced? Maybe both. I would however like to know if the Motorcraft replacement is still plastic or metal like the replacement shown above.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wonder if the impeller blades were destroyed by some sort of debris in the system originally? Was the original thermostat all in tact when you removed it? Did you buy the Expy new? Was the coolant system ever flushed or worked on by others? It seems like mechanical interference failure somehow other than just snapping off out of the blue. If it was caused by debris of some sort it would probably lock up the aluminum finned pump and burn the belt off before stripping all the fins off. At least you would know where to look first in that case.

Last edited:

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
WOW, were you able to find all ten of the missing impellers? Also wondering if something was in there to break the blades off.