2015 Ecoboost vacuum line leaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StephenOsborne1

Reaction score
I was changing the oil in the Ecoboost today and found a vacuum nipple was broken on the passenger side charge tube. Looks like it goes to the wastegate valve solenoid. Haven't had any real issues other than my daughter reported seeing the CEL flash a few times a couple days ago. I did pull a misfire code for cylinder 4. Must be intermittent because the light wasn't staying on and truck seems to be running fine. Plugs and boots recently replaced with OEM. Thinking a COP is going bad. 165,*** miles.
Might try drilling the broken nipple and installing a grommet with vacuum fitting as a temporary fix. What negative issues might this leak cause?
IMG_20230115_142707392.jpgIMG_20230115_142702414.jpg

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was changing the oil in the Ecoboost today and found a vacuum nipple was broken on the passenger side charge tube. Looks like it goes to the wastegate valve solenoid. Haven't had any real issues other than my daughter reported seeing the CEL flash a few times a couple days ago. I did pull a misfire code for cylinder 4. Must be intermittent because the light wasn't staying on and truck seems to be running fine. Plugs and boots recently replaced with OEM. Thinking a COP is going bad. 165,*** miles.
Might try drilling the broken nipple and installing a grommet with vacuum fitting as a temporary fix. What negative issues might this leak cause?
View attachment 76262View attachment 76263

I’m not sure if your repair attempt will cause any issues. I do have a question though.

I have a 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4, purchased new. For quite some time, it has had an intermittent vacuum “moan” while driving. Usually, when accelerating gently on a level road, or lifting the accelerator pedal just as the transmission shifts (such as approaching a traffic light and it turns red far ahead, and lifting your foot from the pedal and coasting).

The sound can be heard inside the passenger compartment with the windows closed and the radio operating (not loudly). I believe it is coming from the driver side front, but I could be wrong.

The dealer insists (two trips) that they can not find anything wrong and there is no issue. The noise began AFTER the dealer replaced the engine water pump - so I suspect the technician broke something, or left something disconnected.

The vehicle has been parked at the dealer now for 71 days, awaiting a national backordered steering gear.

Where exactly is this charge tube? Can it and the broken nipple be seen from the top side of the engine compartment?

I’d like to go to the dealer and check this item while it is waiting for the other repair, in case I have the same issue.

Thank you.

OP
OP
StephenOsborne1

StephenOsborne1

Reaction score
I’m not sure if your repair attempt will cause any issues. I do have a question though.

I have a 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4, purchased new. For quite some time, it has had an intermittent vacuum “moan” while driving. Usually, when accelerating gently on a level road, or lifting the accelerator pedal just as the transmission shifts (such as approaching a traffic light and it turns red far ahead, and lifting your foot from the pedal and coasting).

The sound can be heard inside the passenger compartment with the windows closed and the radio operating (not loudly). I believe it is coming from the driver side front, but I could be wrong.

The dealer insists (two trips) that they can not find anything wrong and there is no issue. The noise began AFTER the dealer replaced the engine water pump - so I suspect the technician broke something, or left something disconnected.

The vehicle has been parked at the dealer now for 71 days, awaiting a national backordered steering gear.

Where exactly is this charge tube? Can it and the broken nipple be seen from the top side of the engine compartment?

I’d like to go to the dealer and check this item while it is waiting for the other repair, in case I have the same issue.

Thank you.
This charge tube is connected to the intake tube, specifically on the passenger side between the radiator and engine. It is viewable under the hood. It's a very small hard plastic nipple with a rubber vacuum hose running under the engine cover up to the intake manifold.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This charge tube is connected to the intake tube, specifically on the passenger side between the radiator and engine. It is viewable under the hood. It's a very small hard plastic nipple with a rubber vacuum hose running under the engine cover up to the intake manifold.

Thank you.

I will try to go to the dealer in the next few days and inspect the area from under the hood.

I appreciate your reply and information.