2015: Brake Booster Moan / Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4, purchased new, with 97,*** miles. The original brake pads and rotors were replaced with new OEM Motorcraft parts at 65,*** miles.

For several months - while driving the vehicle, there will be an intermittent vacuum “moan”, which can be heard inside from the front seats of the vehicle - with the windows closed and the radio operating (not loudly).

It occurs in 2H or 4A, while driving steady and lifting your foot from the accelerator pedal. It also occurs when accelerating gently on flat ground, when the transmission shifts up (noted by the DIC display of what gear the transmission is operating in).

When my transmission failed earlier this year, I also had the dealer diagnose the noise, and they said it was the IWE engagement vacuum check valve, which they replaced. It did not eliminate the noise. I subsequently replaced the IWE engagement solenoid and vacuum tank (with new Ford parts) and the noise remains and is unchanged.

In the last week or so, I have noticed that when the vehicle is parked and the engine shut-off, the brake pedal will be rock-hard when I return and start the vehicle. Previously (and like all other vehicles I have owned) - the brake pedal usually has some push to it for several applications (with the engine off), then becomes hard as the vacuum is depleted.

The noise has begun to appear more frequently. There is NO change in braking feel or performance. The brake fluid level remains steady.

I plan to return to the dealer and have the Ford Premium Care service plan. The dealer previously misdiagnosed the problem, and I want to ensure the issue is fixed.

Does anyone have any suggestions or helpful information? Thank you.