2019 XLT Max - Antifreeze leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OpticonBill

Reaction score
Noticed a 3-inch circle of antifreeze on the floor of the garage right below where the rear hinge of the lower passenger side suspension A frame attaches to the body frame. After trying without success to locate the leak, I decide to take it to my local Ford dealership. Turns out a heater hose tee connection was replaced along with the thermostat. They also replaced the antifreeze by pulling a vacuum on the cooling system. They had the Expedition ready for pickup after two days in the shop. Final cost $750.

This is NOT a complaint about the service or cost. I bought my 97 Eddie Bauer Expedition in 2000 with 64k miles. Except for replacing the transmission at 360k miles and the heater core, I did all repairs and maintenance myself including replacement of spark plugs and coils from time to time. Still have the 97 now with just over 500k miles. The 2019 Expedition is another beast altogether different. It's packed with technology and with the turbo charger system, mechanically it's at a whole level of complexity compared to my 97 with the 5.4 Triton V8. On that basis, I'm probably going to leave the more complex issues to the Ford shop to repairs. I was happy with the antifreeze leak repair.

I purchased the Scanner Bluetooth device used with the FORscan app on my phone. Did my first scan yesterday and it reported a Code B137B - Right Entry Output. Apparently related to the Power Fold Seat Module. I have an appointment with the Ford shop to have it looked at, but the issue did cause me to wonder if there is an electrical schematic available for this vehicle?

Last edited:

ROBERT BONNER

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interesting. Between Christmas and New Years I helped my neighbor replace the "Y" heater hoses on his 2019. My knuckles have almost healed, 4 weeks later. His 2019 had been using a few ounces of coolant/year for a couple of years without puddles. Then he noticed a puddle and lost a quart in 5 miles after Christmas.

One of the heater hose quick connect lock rings at the firewall was buggered. Turns out the dealer miss installed it (or damaged it when separating it) a couple of years ago when they did an under warranty "body off frame" VCT/Turbo replacement.

ROBERT BONNER

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And where is this connection located? Is it visible?
The heater hose routing is from the water pump (note that there is an auxiliary electric pump located in-line on one of the hoses), then underneath the passenger side exhaust manifold, the supply and return are baled together the one closest to the manifold is wrapped in insulated foil. Once they rise up from under the rear of the exhaust manifold they each have a molded in "Y" located underneath the PCM housing and wiring. One leg of each "Y" connects to the firewall, the other leg of each connects to the hard lines that run back to the rear auxiliary heater. 5 of the 6 connections have "quick push on connections", the 6th, near the water pump is a hose clamp type connection.

If you want to inspect them, get a mirror and a light, or an inspection camera. If you want to replace them...use someone else's knuckles....Just saying.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire