2016 Expy - exhaust smell in cabin

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1111ExpyEL1111

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One of our Expy's is a 2016 shortie. The exhaust is pointed out the back vs. my 12 's EL which is pointed out the side. On the 16, when we have the rear vents open, it's common that you smell exhaust, especially when accelerating.

I have to believe that somewhere here has experienced the same. What's the best fix? Reroute the exhaust out the side?

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One of our Expy's is a 2016 shortie. The exhaust is pointed out the back vs. my 12 's EL which is pointed out the side. On the 16, when we have the rear vents open, it's common that you smell exhaust, especially when accelerating.

I have to believe that somewhere here has experienced the same. What's the best fix? Reroute the exhaust out the side?
Exhaust smell in the cabin is not something that would be caused by where the exhaust exits, there has to be a leak somewhere. Do you have recycled air on when this happens?

OP
OP

1111ExpyEL1111

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Exhaust smell in the cabin is not something that would be caused by where the exhaust exits, there has to be a leak somewhere. Do you have recycled air on when this happens?

With all due respect sir, you are wrong. It is not uncommon for rear exiting exhaust to get caught in the airflow immediately behind the tailgate and come back in if the rear side vents are open.

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With all due respect sir, you are wrong. It is not uncommon for rear exiting exhaust to get caught in the airflow immediately behind the tailgate and come back in if the rear side vents are open.
What are you referring to "rear side vents". Are those the 3rd row windows that pop out electronically? If so, yah you'll get exhaust in the cabin.

jkayca

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep. Have the same issue. Smell only present when 3rd row windows popped out which I have quite often as I'm constantly hauling around my kids' hockey gear.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Do you just have the back vents open and nothing else? Usually if you have the front windows cracked open it creates a positive out flow of air at the rear open vents.