2017 Door Alignment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dropped it off yesterday, got a new 150 as a loaner. Just got a call, they said it will be ready for pick up tomorrow. Caller couldn't say with any detail what they did, so I'll find that out tomorrow.

[secretly worried they had to take off the front fender and now it'll look like it has leprosy]

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope they make you happy. It's frustrating when things aren't the way they are supposed to be. Post a picture when you get it back.

OP
OP
B

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been around too long to get upset over stuff like this. It wasn't the end of the world, which occurs when when somebody dings it with a door in a parking lot. Thats when it ain't new anymore. I want to say that the dealer has been absolutely on the ball with this, which goes a long way. I haven't had to ask for anything, other than pointing out that I'd like it fixed. A pleasant surprise IMO.

OP
OP
B

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got it back. Doors look good. Here's the before and after photos:

IMG_0212[2].JPG
And after:

IMG_0223[1].JPG

They had to move the back door aft. Here's a photo that shows how far they moved it. Just forward of the hinge plate you can make out some scuffed paint, that where the plate was:
IMG_0225[1].JPG
Happy now.

Last edited:

uberdog

Reaction score
A lot of common stuff going on here with builds of 2017 Expy's. My front passenger door was out of alignment and stuck out at the bottom to a small extent. Dealer was able to adjust the hinges and get it pretty close to - if not perfectly - aligned. I am good with it. My truck also has the commonly misaligned rear lift gate discussed here in another thread. I chose not to have it adjusted for now as it requires dropping the headliner. No leaks or rattles currently, so I am likely to leave it all alone or have it addressed before the warranty expires.

I also had to have the top windshield trim replaced as it was coming unglued on one side near the roof channel. Dealer wanted to pull the entire windshield to "do it right". Instead I took it to a local auto glass shop and they re-glued it in place in about 15 minutes for free.

Very curious to see and drive the new model this Fall. It seems Ford has issues with fit-finish Q/A on the assembly line.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A lot of common stuff going on here with builds of 2017 Expy's. My front passenger door was out of alignment and stuck out at the bottom to a small extent. Dealer was able to adjust the hinges and get it pretty close to - if not perfectly - aligned. I am good with it. My truck also has the commonly misaligned rear lift gate discussed here in another thread. I chose not to have it adjusted for now as it requires dropping the headliner. No leaks or rattles currently, so I am likely to leave it all alone or have it addressed before the warranty expires.

I also had to have the top windshield trim replaced as it was coming unglued on one side near the roof channel. Dealer wanted to pull the entire windshield to "do it right". Instead I took it to a local auto glass shop and they re-glued it in place in about 15 minutes for free.

Very curious to see and drive the new model this Fall. It seems Ford has issues with fit-finish Q/A on the assembly line.

I ordered and bought a new 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4. I picked it up two days after it was delivered to the dealer - with two miles on it.

The LF wheel opening molding was loose and not fitted correctly. The black plastic nails on the inside of the wheel opening were not seated and installed crooked. The painted mounding at the bottom of the LF fender, behind the wheel, was also installed crooked. It was very obvious when you walked up to the vehicle. I had to return it to the service department for repair.

The right side of the hood, at the rear by the cowl, was lower than the top of the RF fender (about the thickness of two quarters stacked). I removed the bolts on the right hood hinge (the ones that hold the hood) and added two shims to raise the hood. Now, the hood is flush with the fender (when the hood is closed).

This was my first Ford and I was VERY disappointed with the poor fit and finish. Both problems were very easy to see. A line worker didn't do his job, the quality control inspector didn't do his job, the dealer service tech (who was paid to inspect and prepare the vehicle) - didn't do his job, and the salesman overlooked the problems. In retrospect, I should have refused the vehicle. I did note that the condition of the vehicle was "much worse than expected" on the survey from Ford. It was obvious that Ford does NOT care about problems with their new vehicles.

Thunderjet

Reaction score
Always pays to do a good PDI. Last time I noticed some defects the sales guy told me no worries, we will have that fixed for you in a jiff. I said fine, fix it and call me when its done then I'll complete the purchasing agreement.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

GeezingInVA

Reaction score
My front passenger door was out of alignment and stuck out at the bottom to a small extent.

Welcome to the club. My purchased-new 2016 Limited's driver door has been out of alignment and sticking out at the bottom since delivery. Even though it's always annoyed me the factory's final inspection/QA person(s) spent more time putting the blue oval decal on the inside of the windshield which proclaims "Proudly Assembled in the USA",... instead of noticing/fixing the door alignment,... I've learned to ignore it. My experience with my dealer is: unless it's a problem that keeps the vehicle off the road, just let it go. They usually make it worse instead of better. :)

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My experience with my dealer is: unless it's a problem that keeps the vehicle off the road, just let it go. They usually make it worse instead of better. :)
That is definitely not the case with the dealership that I bought from. They are very responsive and interested in making sure the customer is happy. They fixed my driver's door out of alignment at the top in 15 minutes and did a great job.