2018 Expedition Gearing Option Decision

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mossback

2017 Limited EL
Reaction score
It was the 4L60-E. They offered three ratios at that time: 3.42, 3.73 and 4.10. Great truck- the last of the classic body style.

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
But it's not just the rear-axle gearing. He's looking at a 6000lb vehicle, a 6000lb boat and a GCWR of 12,400lbs. 12,400-6,000-6,000 is 400lbs. 400lbs is not a lot of weight for people and stuff. The max trailer package or the FX4 package gives him an upgraded transmission and bumps up the GCWR to ~14,000lbs.
And he did said he'll be driving through central California (where it gets hot!) and the Sierras* (while not towing) at high speeds with a truck full of people and stuff. This is exactly where you'd want the upgraded radiator. The FX4 package would also give him some protection for his "light off-roading" so he doesn't accidentally puncture an oil pan or gas tank if he misjudges the size of a rock way up some forest service road. I'd say he gets better tires, but from all the photos I've seen it looks like everybody with 18" wheels gets the same highway all season Michelin Primacy tires...
*As in the Sierra Mountains. Those are mountains, real ones, with glaciers and such. In other words, not the mis-named hills they have on the East Coast.

I wasn't aware the transmission is upgraded with the tow package. It says that you get trailer assist, HD radiator and 3.73 gears. Nothing about suspension, trans, etc. I think the 10-speed transmission eliminates to some degree the need for lower geared differential, I can back up my trailer all by myself, and I've never had any problems at all with the regular radiator. For me, the HD package doesn't pencil out. $1500 for an HD radiator isn't worth it, especially given you give up fuel economy in the bargain.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wasn't aware the transmission is upgraded with the tow package. It says that you get trailer assist, HD radiator and 3.73 gears. Nothing about suspension, trans, etc. I think the 10-speed transmission eliminates to some degree the need for lower geared differential, I can back up my trailer all by myself, and I've never had any problems at all with the regular radiator. For me, the HD package doesn't pencil out. $1500 for an HD radiator isn't worth it, especially given you give up fuel economy in the bargain.
I think he is talking about the option of 4H and 4L in addition to 4A. And he is correct in that regard. Although I'm not sure what happens if you get the HD tow package but not 4wd.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You are correct, sir. Everybody gets the same transmission and I, apparently, had not had enough coffee when I posted that. In the original poster's case, the big difference is the GCWR. Dunno why it's 2K lbs greater in for the 3.73 rear axle, but it is. And I think he's going to be over 12.4k lbs with his boat should he ever put it on a scale...

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Actually, the difference is 3000# in tow rating. I don't understand why, unless the taller rear end is more prone to damage while towing heavier loads. Makes little sense to me. Since I only tow ~4000#, the radiator would be the main advantage. They don't even add a transmission cooler. That's certainly not worth the upgrade charge.

mossback

2017 Limited EL
Reaction score
The HD tow package does include both a heavy duty radiator and a transmission cooler.

TOC.gif

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The HD tow package does include both a heavy duty radiator and a transmission cooler.

TOC.gif
Is that from the 2018? "Monotone Appearance Package" suggests the King Ranch which would be the 2017 and previous. The 2018 has a whole different spec set for the HD tow package:

Heavy-Duty Trailer Tow Package: heavy-duty radiator, Pro Trailer
Backup Assist,™ 3.73 electronic limited-slip rear differential (eLSD),
integrated trailer brake controller, and 2-speed automatic 4WD (4x4
only) with Neutral towing capability

Last edited:

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score

$1,500 is a steal for that equipment!!

mossback

2017 Limited EL
Reaction score
Is that from the 2018? "Monotone Appearance Package" suggests the King Ranch which would be the 2017 and previous. The 2018 has a whole different spec set for the HD tow package:

Ahh, okay. The options I posted were for 2017.