2018 Hands Free Liftgate not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LG_123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine works almost exclusively when i don’t want it to like when hitching up a trailer. I was excited about that feature too but I’m afraid you’re not missing much.

OP
OP

719c6

Reaction score
Anyone have access to the service manual steps in diagnosing the components?

jwas1

Reaction score
2018 Max Platinum with the hands-free option not working. All other methods work fine and the option is enabled on the dash options. Bought it used so no idea if it ever worked. Where and what do I need to check?
I have '18 XLT. Worked for a few months. Then lift gate started opening by itself. Caught me on the forehead. Dealer tried everything without success. Disabled kick to lift.

Tuebor

Reaction score
I have the same luck as the other posters: won't open when I want it to. Closes on my head when I don't want it to.

GixxerJasen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone have access to the service manual steps in diagnosing the components?

mpc11

Reaction score
Tried from about all angles and methods. Verified everything plugged in and activated in Forscan. I'm out of ideas... anyone?
I had an '18 and now a '21. Accidental activations aside, I could barely get the '18 to work when I wanted it to. I feel like I had to start more towards the driver side than center and kick at some weird angle for the times I did get it to work. The '21 works pretty flawlessly with a simple short kick starting at the center.

Also, if memory serves, there was some kind of TSB for the hands-free liftgate on the '18. It helped some w/ the accidental activations, but still wasn't great.

Johnb21

Reaction score
I know this may sound silly, but do you have your key fob in your pocket when you try to kick under the tailgate on the driver's side 2x?
I chased the tailgate not working when activated with my foot for many, many months. Dealer chased it too, but it worked for them....until they asked the question about the key fob. I have never had an issue since. Also, one other poster did mention battery voltage. I am currently having issues with door sensors and start-stop due to my battery not charging to the ideal voltage.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There was a video somebody posted on how to get it to work 90%+ of the time. I think it was from a dealership in Salina Kansas. Basically start one to two steps back. Walk forward, kick under the bumper then back up those two steps.

Book2

Reaction score
Hi I have '18 Limited since new and enjoying the car very much! It took me about 1 year to master the correct way to do it, thanks to one comment I received from someone at YouTube - I commented about the difficulty of foot operation and he gave me an advice - it really works! Now I think I can make the rear gate open by my foot at more than 95% success rate. Here is how - about half way between left side and license plate, kick in and out quickly - literally I am gently kicking the spare tire like a soccer ball, and my toe hits the tire. Sometimes it takes me 2 or 3 kicks but usually I can open / close the gate by one kick. When it works good, it's kinda fun, and I am using the hands-free operation very often. I hope you can make it work, too!

OP
OP

719c6

Reaction score
Went thru the service manual and followed steps. Found out the rear antenna was not working... helps if it's plugged in. doh. All works great now.