2018 limited MAX breakdown.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

martin2018

Reaction score
I’ve had my new to me Max for about 2 weeks. It has 30k miles on it. It is a Ford Certified vehicle. I pulled away at a light and it ****** to a stop. Surprised the heck out of me. Though I was out of gas. I accelerated slowly and it did the same. Slight tire drag could be heard when it slows. Seemed ok right after. I stopped, turned things off and back on. Seemed ok and no engine lights. I drove a quick turn round the parking lot and when it shifts to 3rd doing about 5-10mph it just loses power and almost stalls regardless if you press the accelerator. I did it about 4 times and it happened each time. I stopped and called ford vehicle recovery and called the dealer. They towed it away. I’ll go see the dealer tomorrow.

I could not find any similar issues on the internet. Anyone seen or heard of this ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wonder if they have the same throttle body as the earlier model that had some issues.

OP
OP
M

martin2018

Reaction score
Received a warning message on my Ford app this morning. Attached. The dealer called a little while after. All they could tell me was that there certainly was something wrong. Due to repair backlog it might take up to 2 weeks to fix.

d2a277c32d3acac942ebf1f48a55aa7d.jpg

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Received a warning message on my Ford app this morning. Attached. The dealer called a little while after. All they could tell me was that there certainly was something wrong. Due to repair backlog it might take up to 2 weeks to fix.

d2a277c32d3acac942ebf1f48a55aa7d.jpg

That suuuuucks, both on the problem and the slow service. Sorry to hear it.

I had an event a couple months ago that is reminiscent of your issue but not the same. I went to accelerate and there was no power. The truck didn't stop or anything, it just didn't want to go. If I really put my foot into the pedal it eventually thought about it and slooooowly sped up. But only to about 20 mph. It really seemed to be in "limp mode". I checked the transmission temp as it seemed to be having trouble in that area and the temp readout on the dash said 235 degrees (above spec). Limped it back to the office and parked it. Went out at the end of the day, fired it up, and it's never had the problem again since. It was strange.

OP
OP
M

martin2018

Reaction score
Quick update log on my Expedition woes. The vehicle has been in the shop longer than I owned it. I’ve discussed with the dealer about taking it back and I purchase new. They are not willing to share the cost of the initial sale. I didn’t have high hopes. This is my first used vehicle of 5 in the last 6 years. First Ford and first ever breakdown. I still like the car, it drove great when it worked. I’ll just have to stick it out.

Last update from service department on Friday afternoon:

Have gotten the Expedition on the lift to remove pan and inspect valve body. Found a lot of metal debris in the fluid. Will need to remove transmission and perform full teardown to determine root cause and extent of repairs necessary. Should have torn down and know more by the end of next week.

-name removed) Maxwell Ford

OP
OP
M

martin2018

Reaction score
After 30 days with the dealer for repair I received the vehicle back. Transmission pump was replaced but not much explanation on what the cause of the issue was. I had to settle with: failures happen. Hopefully things improve from here, been a painful experience. First time I ever worked with a dealer that just refuse to do anything more than the absolute minimum and didn’t give 2 ***** about reputation. Anyway - I own my actions, should have done more research on the dealer.

FYI; repair cost was $1500 but under warranty. I paid $300 tax supplement on the Fiesta ( cheapest possible option). Ford covers $30 / day car rental for breakdown, you pay the tax and overage for a bigger vehicle. An expedition is $70 per day. Must rent a Ford.

JohnT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I assume the transmission has been re warrantied from todays date? I'd be super worried about what damage metal debris did elsewhere.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After 30 days with the dealer for repair I received the vehicle back. Transmission pump was replaced but not much explanation on what the cause of the issue was. I had to settle with: failures happen. Hopefully things improve from here, been a painful experience. First time I ever worked with a dealer that just refuse to do anything more than the absolute minimum and didn’t give 2 ***** about reputation. Anyway - I own my actions, should have done more research on the dealer.

FYI; repair cost was $1500 but under warranty. I paid $300 tax supplement on the Fiesta ( cheapest possible option). Ford covers $30 / day car rental for breakdown, you pay the tax and overage for a bigger vehicle. An expedition is $70 per day. Must rent a Ford.

Bullsh!t

This reminds me of a thing a bimmer 335 did to me, sort of (ecoboost turbo motors are built with a similar philosophy)...

Imho look for a blown EGR cooler hose or something heat-related near the turbo...turbocharged high-HP sixers with modern electronics tend to go into "panic mode limp" when temps spike on a secondary sensor near the turbos

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also.... wth is it shifting to 3rd @ 5 - 10mph??

Randy Schmidt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
FYI; repair cost was $1500 but under warranty. I paid $300 tax supplement on the Fiesta ( cheapest possible option). Ford covers $30 / day car rental for breakdown said:
I cannot believe you had to rent a car. Figured since you bought it there, they would give you a service loaner... Sorry to hear about all of the hassle you have had to deal with.