2018 Tranny Fluid Leak - reg shop or tranny shop?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mdr411

Reaction score
I have a 2018 Exp Limited Max w approx 122k miles. Today I had to drive it about 30 miles with my utility trailer. It's a 12x8 trailer but it was almost empty. On the way home I noticed the transmission staying in 7th gear longer than normal. I was going speeds of about 65-70 and when this was happening it almost sounded like the exhaustt was loud, or thinking back maybe it was the rear diff I don't know but the sound was coming from the rear. If I pushed the gas and sped up to about 75 tranny would switch into 8th gear and then 9 10 and would drive real smooth and no noise from the rear. The last time this sticking in 7th happened the temp gauge on the far right jumped all the way up high enough that it showed a #. I can't remember the exact # but I want to say 280ish. The gauge was about as high as it would go but not in the lines/the red. Luckliy I was at my exit, got off the highway and the temp gauge dropped back down to normal right away. Well I arrived home I can see some fluid had sprayed all over my running boards. I crawl underneath and there was a light red fluid on everything, cross members, tran drain pan, running boards, rear diff, it even sprayed back to my trailer. I tried and couldn't locate where it was coming from. I opened up the hood and it was lightly smoking. Funny thing is it drove smooth all the way home with no issues. I'm at a loss. Hoping my tranny doesn't need a rebuild. It really sucks too because we have a 4 hr road trip in one week and now have to take a 2007 honda civic. Should I have it towed to a mechanic or a transmission shop?

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2018 Exp Limited Max w approx 122k miles. Today I had to drive it about 30 miles with my utility trailer. It's a 12x8 trailer but it was almost empty. On the way home I noticed the transmission staying in 7th gear longer than normal. I was going speeds of about 65-70 and when this was happening it almost sounded like the exhaustt was loud, or thinking back maybe it was the rear diff I don't know but the sound was coming from the rear. If I pushed the gas and sped up to about 75 tranny would switch into 8th gear and then 9 10 and would drive real smooth and no noise from the rear. The last time this sticking in 7th happened the temp gauge on the far right jumped all the way up high enough that it showed a #. I can't remember the exact # but I want to say 280ish. The gauge was about as high as it would go but not in the lines/the red. Luckliy I was at my exit, got off the highway and the temp gauge dropped back down to normal right away. Well I arrived home I can see some fluid had sprayed all over my running boards. I crawl underneath and there was a light red fluid on everything, cross members, tran drain pan, running boards, rear diff, it even sprayed back to my trailer. I tried and couldn't locate where it was coming from. I opened up the hood and it was lightly smoking. Funny thing is it drove smooth all the way home with no issues. I'm at a loss. Hoping my tranny doesn't need a rebuild. It really sucks too because we have a 4 hr road trip in one week and now have to take a 2007 honda civic. Should I have it towed to a mechanic or a transmission shop?

Transmission fluid expands significantly when temp rises. And that can cause leaks. I would bring it into a transmission workshop to do an inspection. If it still works fine mechanically, I would replace the filter and fluid, at least. With 280 degrees, the fluid is done.

Benztech

Reaction score
The fluid most likely came out of the vent. I've had a similar situation happen several times. A software update fixed the issue, but my trucknis back in the shop for a tear down due hard shift issues.

OP
OP
M

Mdr411

Reaction score
UPDATE - I brough it in to a transmission shop and they said the torque convertor needs to be replaced. Since he's going to be replacing that he'll do a full rebuild. His estimate is $6500-7000. Should take a week or so. Kinda sucks because I just bought theis truck 8 months ago. Even after the tranny is fixed I still have the phasers and both turbo's need to be replaced too. Now I have to decide should I try to trade it in for something brand new or dig in, fix all these issues and hope the truck makes it 2-3 more years. Any thoughts?

OP
OP
M

Mdr411

Reaction score
In case anyone reads this here's an update. I picked up the Exp from the tranny shop and drove it straight to the local Jeep dealership. I test drove a Grand Cherokee. Jeep said they would give me $20k for a trade in value. Then I drove over to the GMC dealer and they flat out said they didn't want it as a trade. The service mgr said he's been burned with the cam phaser issue in the past and he is done taking those engines in as trades. So drove back to Jeep and i'm the proud owner of a 2024 Grand Cherokee fully warrantied. My whole experience with the exp was a disaster. I loved the design and interior but will never purchase another eco drive engine.

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I drive a 2018 Expedition with about 86k miles. My transmission started overheating and upon pulling over, leaking transmission oil. It's been in the shop for the past 5 weeks. They should have it fixed any day now.

I am the original owner and have Ford Extended Service Plan (ESP), as such, all repairs are covered under warranty.

When you buy a truck with 120k miles, you have to set aside a certain budget for maintenance. After 100k miles, things start to break.

For what it's worth, the 10-speed transmission unit was co-developed with GMC, and is being used in dozens of models across the Ford/GM lineup.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire