2018 Transmission Clunking/slamming in gears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsarv

Reaction score
Currently Expedition is sitting at the dealer to get the tranny gone thru. Started noticing on highway when cruising 70+ and stepped on it to pass and downshift. Dropped to 7 or 8 then really slammed into 9 and ok up to 10. Then started noticing hard clunky sometimes hesitant shifts in all odd gears (3,5,7,9) Dealer said something major is going on but now it sits for 2+ weeks until the tranny tech can get to it. Kind of disheartening for such a new vehicle w/ 20k on it. Anybody else had similar issues?

Thanks

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Currently Expedition is sitting at the dealer to get the tranny gone thru. Started noticing on highway when cruising 70+ and stepped on it to pass and downshift. Dropped to 7 or 8 then really slammed into 9 and ok up to 10. Then started noticing hard clunky sometimes hesitant shifts in all odd gears (3,5,7,9) Dealer said something major is going on but now it sits for 2+ weeks until the tranny tech can get to it. Kind of disheartening for such a new vehicle w/ 20k on it. Anybody else had similar issues?

Thanks
Yeah f-150s been having the same issue. From what I’ve heard on their side, it has to do a little with 1) gear hunting 2) being in the newer side and still learning driving style (especially if your driving style isn’t normally slamming it at 70+ mph like an ******* to go around somebody) and also transmission shift strategies which can easily be updated. I believe there is a TSB out for the shifting issues but I feel your pain with having an almost brand new truck sitting on a lot for 2 weeks.

However I’ve also heard that with strategy updates the transmission has to start over learning like it did from day 1, so when they fix it, try to take it easy and it should smooth out. Worst case scenario, grab a tune from 5 star. They will make it a whole other animal

OP
OP
J

jsarv

Reaction score
I read about the the shifting issues in this transmission but I knew it was a little more than that.

Actually just got some info from the dealer. Broken snap ring in the c-clutch making contact with the drum internally. Simple part but difficult to get to.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I read about the the shifting issues in this transmission but I knew it was a little more than that.

Actually just got some info from the dealer. Broken snap ring in the c-clutch making contact with the drum internally. Simple part but difficult to get to.
There’s dealerships out there that would’ve kept in for 2 more weeks and thrown the “we can’t figure it out” BS. Glad they at least found it

Reaction score

Exact same thing was wrong with my transmission this spring. Snap ring broken.

Reaction score
Yes. It was a complete tear down. I believe they also had to replace a clutch pack or two and some synchronizers.

One thing I’m not thrilled about is they did some computer updates while there. The truck just doesn’t seem to have the power it did before. Not as much pep and snap.

Jim Shaw

Reaction score
Dealership kept the car overnight and had me pick it up mid-afternoon of the second day.

They told me they had a TSB 19-2031 (I can't find it on the internet). It was about removing the driveline and lubricated the flange with "special grease."

Then they introduced me to "The 10 Speed Transmission" guy/expert. He said he deleted all prior information in the tranny computer. He then reprogrammed it. He told me it is an adaptive tranny; therefore, he drove the car many miles to "retrain" the memory bank. In the diagnostics he could see I was not coming to a complete stop when the car was in reverse before putting it into Drive and I had several episodes of not coming to a "complete" stop before accelerating again. According to him, this causes issues with the computer which can result in the rough down-shifts I was experiencing along with the clanking noise when it shifted. He advised me it will take a week or so to fully retrain the tranny to my driving style.

He also told me that if I ever have a question or want him to ride in the car for me to not even call the dealership for an appointment just come in and ask for him!

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dealership kept the car overnight and had me pick it up mid-afternoon of the second day.

They told me they had a TSB 19-2031 (I can't find it on the internet). It was about removing the driveline and lubricated the flange with "special grease."

Then they introduced me to "The 10 Speed Transmission" guy/expert. He said he deleted all prior information in the tranny computer. He then reprogrammed it. He told me it is an adaptive tranny; therefore, he drove the car many miles to "retrain" the memory bank. In the diagnostics he could see I was not coming to a complete stop when the car was in reverse before putting it into Drive and I had several episodes of not coming to a "complete" stop before accelerating again. According to him, this causes issues with the computer which can result in the rough down-shifts I was experiencing along with the clanking noise when it shifted. He advised me it will take a week or so to fully retrain the tranny to my driving style.

He also told me that if I ever have a question or want him to ride in the car for me to not even call the dealership for an appointment just come in and ask for him!
Yep that would be the gear hunting issue